93 Yamaha Seca II XJ600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any ideas on oil for my 93 SECA II? Has about 17,000 miles on it. Last oil change I put in Valvoline MC oil but that stuff is [censored] expensive. I was thinking along the lines of Rotella but the manual calls for 20w-40 and Rotella only comes in 15w-40. Actually, yamaha stopped making 20w-40 so I'd have to go with a 20w-50 anyway. Does it really even matter? The one thing I won't do is run synthetic. I did try it once and the clutch was was way too slippery. Any other oil recommendations or comments are welcome. Good or bad.
55.gif
Thanks!!

a 40weight is a 40 weight at operating temps when the oil heats up and thins out, no matter about the first number. The 15W40 will actually be a little better at colder temps, as when the oil cools down at night it will only thicken up to a 15W, instead of a 20W. Make sense?

Rotella, Delvac, Delo, Tection Extra, Premium Blue etc. Any dino 15w-40 HDEO would work well in this application.

I'd spend more time finding the bargin sale of said products, than worrying about how they would differ in performance in your bike.

Last edited:
Yup...perfect sense 02zx9r. Thank you.

And....thank all you guys for the replies. I guess I'll go with the Rotella since its the most readily available at my local Wally World and cheap too.

Now, not to be greedy but any advice on an oil filter? I've had a fram on there once and then a NAPA Gold but I've been told that Fram = garbage. What you guys think?

the walmart super tech one is a decent one for the price. I personally run Purolator pure ones on my bike. But have run a ST filter with no issues either.

If the fram is available to you and you have no issue and want to keep running them, go ahead. Fram does get some bashing (even I have) but I have also mentioned that before I found this site I ran frams for years and never had any issues with them.

The Fram is decent, but there are better choices for the money. And even better ones yet for a small amount more.

Consider the Supertechs, the regular Purolator, the Wix/Napa Gold; they will all work very well and are reasonably priced, and widely available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back