93 Volvo 240 | Mobil 15w40 | 5057 OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viscosity is lower than I expected to see. This car is new to me so this is my first UOA with it, and I couldn't find any other Volvo 240 UOAs to compare it to. Note I fixed the ODO after I bought this car but it definitely has significantly more that 150k miles.

Your thoughts?
669boz.jpg

Well, it's either (a lot of) fuel, shear, the lab's mistake, or Mobil's. Can you ask them to retest for viscosity and fuel?

The last oil I used in my 1990 740 before selling it was Maxlife 10w-40. Maybe give that a try?

Check your intake system and air filter for leaks and a source of silicon.

Would suggest an oil with a lower HTHSvis. I'm currently running PC Duron 0W30 (3.2 HTHSvis) in the 93 245. Easily exceeding the minimum OP specification. Will post UOA soon. IMO 15W40 is unnecessarily thick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
Those additives don't look right either for a HD 15w40.

Good point. I hadn't noticed the zinc and phosphorous numbers. This looks like they tested 30-weight PCMO.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: daman
Those additives don't look right either for a HD 15w40.

Good point. I hadn't noticed the zinc and phosphorous numbers. This looks like they tested 30-weight PCMO.

Ya

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
For reference, here is a VOA of the 1300 15w-40.

Definitely something is wrong with that sample from the OP.

Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah there's definitely something amis. I don't have any of the original oil left to bring to the lab to see if the error was Mobil's (put a 10w30 in the 15w40 container).

I am flushing the crankcase w 4 quarts of 15w40 tomorrow, then draining and refilling with M1 TDT 5w40 and I'll UOA test again after another 5000 miles. It'll be interesting to see those lab results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back