93 Toyota 4runner, 5w30 vs 10w30

Good evening,

My 93 4Runner has 110,00 miles on it, this is my backup car, I don't drive it much. I live in California, it doesn't get cold. I've been using 10w30 oil in this SUV. I'm going to switch to Valvoline Max Life oil (red jug). I plan to purchase 10w30 oil on Amazon but it's $ 29.00, the 5w30 is $ 17.00. Not sure of the price difference between the 2 weights. Is it safe to put 5w30 in the SUV or should I stick with the 10w30. I could also purchase Valvoline 10w30 Synthetic blend (silver jug) for $17.00 too. The owner's manual recommends 10w30 but the manual is over 27 years old and things change. Thank you for any input.

Frankly, a '93 with that low mileage and climate, I'd get the cheapest major brand 10W40 you can find... maybe this on amazon, though I usually try to wait till I find a deal/rebate on Mobil 1 or something so cheaper than that.

No need for high mileage oil if you don't have leaks or excessively burn it, just swelling your seals unnecessarily (nothing good, more wear) otherwise.

Reactions: SR5
^ To whatever extent it does what it claims, to that same extent, an undesirable effect if there is no problem.

If the seal swelling didn't have any detriments, it'd be put in all oil. A correct dimensions seal, is engineered to be what it is, if swollen to a larger size was desired, engineers would have chosen that larger size and lower density seal.

To whatever limited amount it helps, the same amount it causes harm for an engine that doesn't need it, so no reason to use it without reason. It's a bit ridiculous the marketing behind it, peddling snake oil from an era when engines (and seals) didn't last nearly as long as they do today. Today's 250K mi is yesterday's 100K mi.

Better question is, if you don't need it, WHY use it? Because of marketing?

Walmart.com has both grades for about $17.

A 10w30 is more stable than 5w30 due to fewer VII's, especially for a blend.

+1.

You only get the benefits of a 5w-30 below about 15F, and you pay the penalty for it all the time otherwise. In western WA where our lowest temps are only in the high teens very briefly and only some years, plus the trips to the ski slopes, it's 10w-30 in everything, all the time.

Mobil 1 10w30 HM, full synthetic, with the $10/jug rebate on every April to September, comes out to ~$15/jug. Keep that in mind next time. No need to go for a blend at that price.

For example an SP rated oil has to meet certain parameters to be Rated SP among the parameters is seal swell.

10w30 vs 5w30 -> Coke vs Pepsi

In Sunny California, it's not going to make a bit of difference. In a blend, a 5w30 might be blended with slightly more Group III base stocks to reduce the amount of viscosity index improving additives required to make it a 30 weight.

Good evening,

My 93 4Runner has 110,00 miles on it, this is my backup car, I don't drive it much. I live in California, it doesn't get cold. I've been using 10w30 oil in this SUV. I'm going to switch to Valvoline Max Life oil (red jug). I plan to purchase 10w30 oil on Amazon but it's $ 29.00, the 5w30 is $ 17.00. Not sure of the price difference between the 2 weights. Is it safe to put 5w30 in the SUV or should I stick with the 10w30. I could also purchase Valvoline 10w30 Synthetic blend (silver jug) for $17.00 too. The owner's manual recommends 10w30 but the manual is over 27 years old and things change. Thank you for any input.
If it's a V6, I'd go with the 10w30. If it's the i4, anything will work.

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sig...or-oil-5-quart,-4-pack.product.100690432.html

Last edited:
I would say the temperature in California unless you live in the Sierra's would be real close to zero cold start wear issues! How often you think they see sub zero temperatures in low land California?
Even at 80 degrees, 5w is going to flow quicker at startup than 10w and both are still 30 weight oils. Sorry but I really see no reason to choose 10w-30 over 5w-30.

I have used lots of 5w30 full synthetics in both my 76 Oldsmobile 350 v8 and my 83 Caprice with a 305 because they were cheaper than more preferable weights like a 0w40. Both engines have a ton of miles on them and I put a combined 370,000kms on the 2 and they hardly use any oil in 3k intervals. They'll be fine in your 4 runner also which is much newer tech than my old v8's.

^ To whatever extent it does what it claims, to that same extent, an undesirable effect if there is no problem.

If the seal swelling didn't have any detriments, it'd be put in all oil. A correct dimensions seal, is engineered to be what it is, if swollen to a larger size was desired, engineers would have chosen that larger size and lower density seal.

To whatever limited amount it helps, the same amount it causes harm for an engine that doesn't need it, so no reason to use it without reason. It's a bit ridiculous the marketing behind it, peddling snake oil from an era when engines (and seals) didn't last nearly as long as they do today. Today's 250K mi is yesterday's 100K mi.

Better question is, if you don't need it, WHY use it? Because of marketing?

Dave9 all motor oil has a little bit of seal conditioning seal agents in them. All of the oils have that in them.

Only difference is high mileage oil has has higher percentage of them.

Dr Molakule on here who has blended oils has told us that all motor oil has seal condioning additives in them.

By the way... I really do like your posts on here. You add a lot of good thoughts on here.

Back