'93 Shadow engine work

Hi all, just wanted to share a picture I just received from the shop that's doing the engine work on my Shadow. Here's where we are as of today. Can't say I've ever torn down an engine myself, so I'm a little puzzled by the appearance of that head gasket. I'm assuming it's the new one, but why does it look so rough? Whatever that layer of gold is is scraped off in several places. That couldn't be the old one, could it?
I'm impressed with the appearance of the piston tops. Can't wait for this project to be done, as they've had the car since late February. Head gaskets, timing belt set, rear main seal, front cam seals, haven't heard the verdict on the whether or not the pan gasket was leaking. There was so much oil pouring down the back side of that engine, it was hard to tell what was leaking.
30749.jpeg

Avoid copper coat on MLS gaskets like the plague. Those don’t look like MLS gaskets, though.

Got her back today. Running great, as if nothing ever happened. The true test will be in the next weeks to see if it's truly been "potty trained".

Head gaskets
Complete timing belt service
Rear main seal
Oil pan gasket
A/C compressor (afterthought)
Trans pan re-set and re-torque (new pan and rubber gasket installed just prior to this).
Valve cover gaskets (done just prior to this).
Engine & transmission mounts.

Send prayers for a dry driveway. 😄

Last edited:
Saw the title and had to chime in....
My first car was a then 2 year old '93 Plymouth Duster 5spd with the anemic 2.5L 4 cylinder. I soooo wanted the 3.0 V6 so I could burn the front tires off the car as my friend with his parent's old Lebaron coupe with the 3.0 V6 did everyday after school!

Dropped it back off at the shop this morning. Transmission pump leaking. The hindsight that burns is that two transmission shops told me months ago this transmission was not leaking, so when I took it in for all this engine work, I didn't tell them to check the transmission for leaks, and it did not leak on any of their test drives when they were checking for engine oil leaks. Seems it only leaks when it gets completely warmed up, but that's a whole other thread. So it gets torn apart again to the tune of $1,500. He offered to do a complete rebuild for $2,000, so that's what I'm doing. Yep, got to be a rich man to own an old car. Trouble is...I ain't rich.

So you mean that a thirty year old Dodge Shadow is a money pit? That is hard to believe.

Good luck. You have to be willing to tackle most jobs on older cars yourself, instead of farming them out. Unless you have endless sums of money.

So you mean that a thirty year old Dodge Shadow is a money pit? That is hard to believe.

Good luck. You have to be willing to tackle most jobs on older cars yourself, instead of farming them out. Unless you have endless sums of money.
There's a lot of stuff I can do, but (in my opinion) dropping a transmission requires a lift, which I do not have. Brakes, wheel bearings, all fluids, idlers/tensioners, valve cover gaskets, trans pan replacement, thermostat, seat repair, windshield washer repair, hatch release repair, center console repair, rear shocks & spring isolators all done at home. If I had a lift and a little more room, I'd love to tackle more heavy lifting.

Dropped it back off at the shop this morning. Transmission pump leaking. The hindsight that burns is that two transmission shops told me months ago this transmission was not leaking, so when I took it in for all this engine work, I didn't tell them to check the transmission for leaks, and it did not leak on any of their test drives when they were checking for engine oil leaks. Seems it only leaks when it gets completely warmed up, but that's a whole other thread. So it gets torn apart again to the tune of $1,500. He offered to do a complete rebuild for $2,000, so that's what I'm doing. Yep, got to be a rich man to own an old car. Trouble is...I ain't rich.
Well I guess you should have a solid drivetrain when you're done atleast. Is it the 4 spd or 3spd atx? We had the 3.0 and 4spd in a grand caravan and went through 3 transmissions and sold it as it was soon going to need a 4th! I had the 3spd in my 95 Neon and it was quite good really. It survived 190k miles, several seasons of autocross and a few lapping days and was working fine when I scrapped the car.

Hey man. Real quick.. my ride.. has been very much in the same situation as you. Multiple thousands into it. Older car.

I still maintain.. we come out on top. Sure, it is a bitter pill. But now, we have the confidence that stuff has been mechanically replaced, repaired, inspected, inspected again, and, in some cases, inspected again... providing good reliable service right up until its time to service that timing belt (not sure if timing chains require service.)

Your numbers are in the ballpark of what was done to mine, I feel your pain..the only thing left to do - and the only way out, really - is to drive it absolutely all the time, for a very very long time, again, until it requires PM service and we will both have the Million Mile vehicles you see on YouTube. They don't get that way by being used on occasion. They get used ALL THE TIME.

Just wanted you to know you're not the only member of the Top Dollar Classics club, @WylieCoyote Keep your head up and always respect on keeping an older vehicle, one you really like and one you really enjoy, on the road. It's not wasted time nor money if you enjoy it.

Back