93 Buick Century, 3.3 V6, Castrol GTX & very clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the older ladies in my church wrecked her car about a month ago and she's been shopping around for another one. She doesn't have much money to spend, so when she called me about this Buick and asked if I'd go look at it, I was a bit sceptical: A 93 with only 85,000 original miles and they only want $2000 for it.

Turns out, it was the real deal. A one owner, clean as a whistle. Bought new by the then 81 year-old father of a Baptist preacher, who is now 92 and in a nursing home.

The car has had routine oil changes using Castrol GTX 10w30. I unscrewed the oil cap and the engine was literally spotless on the inside. Of course the outside of the engine shows 11 years of use, but so what. Drives good, A/C and all power stuff (seats, lock, windows, etc.) works fine. Only thing I noticed was the coolant needs changing badly.

According to the owner's son, this car for its entire life has only been driven within a 15 mile radius of the old man's house: mostly to church and to Hardee's every morning for breakfast. It's been sitting in the garage for the last two months, being driven only once or twice a week by the owner's wife.

Just goes to show that a good "dino" oil will keep an engine very clean so long as it gets changed out routinely.

The lady in my church is going to get the car, and I told her I'd take it to my shop and get the radiator flushed out for her. She's very excited because this car is much nicer than that crappy Tempo she had.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike242GT:
Do her another favor and change the radiator and heater hoses when you flush the cooling system.

Good idea. (BTW, when I said "my shop," I didn't mean that literally. I meant the shop where I have all work done on my cars.)

Not to rip on dino oils or GTX, but 3.3/3.8 cars last forever! I think that they tend to be pretty kind to the oil with a low stress, low RPM pushrod design, plenty of cooling, and a large sump. A good friend of mine has one with just under 200,000 miles on mostly Iffy Lube changes!

Alternators are probably the biggest weak link: buy a lifetime model if it goes!

quote:

Originally posted by jorton:
Wallmart has a good everyday price for GTX.
Do you know if it holds up for 5000 mile OCI?
Joe

For a mix of city and highway driving I like a 4K interval with a good dino and filter. For mostly highway use, I think a 5K interval is ok.

[ April 03, 2004, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: mikemc ]

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:

quote:

Originally posted by jorton:
Wallmart has a good everyday price for GTX.
Do you know if it holds up for 5000 mile OCI?
Joe

For a mix of city and highway driving I like a 4K interval with a good dino and filter. For mostly highway use, I think a 5K interval is ok.

I will have to agree here. My 5.0 Ford V8 has had nothing but a diet of Castrol GTX 15w-40 for the last 150,000 miles and runs sweet. The Ford recommended OCI for this vehicle is 10,000 k's (6,000 miles), so 5,000 mile OCI should be OK, as long as you use a decent oil, not the thin stuff
grin.gif

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back