92 Tacoma Engine Replacement or Head Gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend has a 1992 Tacoma 4x4 with 195,000 miles. I know it sounds played out, but it spent it's life in Oregon and there is about zero rust on the truck.

He is starting to get coolant in the engine oil. The shop said it needs head gasket work, $1000 or so. It's a manual transmission, that's O.K..

I see they seem to sell 'rebuilt engines' for about $3000 or so, then one uses most existing accessories on the current engine.

Any work would be done at a shop, either way is to much for the owner. Any opinion on the direction to go? Just to the gasket and deal with anything else later? Talking to a local guy that seems to be suggested. He would like to keep the truck a while. Then again, for the $$ spent on a new engine one could buy a newer Tacoma, possibly.

Just asking.

I vote for the head gasket replacement. It appears it wasn't overheated or run a long time with coolant in the oil. Should be able to check head for flatness and change the gasket and oil.. It is not worth another engine to me.

Last edited:
If his motor is in good shape(besides the head gasket) then I'd vote for the head gasket replacement. When buying a "rebuilt" engine you never know what you are going to get. It could be a higher-mileage motor that will need more work a little further down the road.

Tacoma from '92? Not real familar. But that vintage, is it the 3.0 V6 (aka 3.blow, notorious for head gaskets) or the I4? I've read conflicting reports on doing head gaskets, some insist that they always blow--while I've had at least one mechanic insist that if it's done right then it's a one-time repair.

I'd be inclined to do the headgasket. It's a few hours wasted if the engine is trashed, but I'd expect the odds to be pretty good that the head is still straight and the bores good.

+1 on head gasket. Head gaskets don't generally blow for no reason, check the cooling system very closely for leaks. Likely it ran low on coolant for some reason and overheated or straight water caused corrosion (electrolysis) between aluminum head and iron block.

Either way, coolant issues are usually the only way to kill Toyotas.

Last edited:
I would also do the head gasket. You really don't know if it's just a LIM, but at nearly 200K taking the shotgun approach and doing the whole head gasket would be a safer bet.

Thanks for the info, that was what a local mechanic said too. He had an oil analysis done and it showed some coolant in the oil, not much but to much to ignore.

He may have info on what was done recently, like the timing chain or whatever. The shop that may do the work will mention if there are other 'must do's' that should be done at the same time.

It's always scary buying a well used vehicle.

92 toyota trucks had a recall for the 6 cyl head gaskets. Do a comp test pull a valve cover off and if the engine looks maintained gamble with a head gasket. They are well built trucks. I owned one since new for 14 years till it was hit when parked and totales I would still be driving it now. the price should reflect the cost of the head gasket At least. Could it be a cracked head?

If it's a '92 it's not a Tacoma, it's just a pickup. There were two engine options, 22-RE and 3VZ-E.
The 3VZ-E 3.0L V6 was notorious for head gasket issues, but I'd say it's definitely worth replaceing the HG if the engine and truck are in good shape.

Just being rust free makes that truck worth plenty enough to justify $1000 head gasket work. Make sure the mechanic does both heads, I've known some mechanics to skimp and just do one.

'Cracked head', maybe, so far he's honed in on it being a head gasket. Maybe it's not an actual 'Tacoma' . I was thinking it was, maybe before the use if that name.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
A friend has a 1992 Tacoma 4x4 with 195,000 miles. I know it sounds played out, but it spent it's life in Oregon and there is about zero rust on the truck.

He is starting to get coolant in the engine oil. The shop said it needs head gasket work, $1000 or so. It's a manual transmission, that's O.K..

I see they seem to sell 'rebuilt engines' for about $3000 or so, then one uses most existing accessories on the current engine.

Any work would be done at a shop, either way is to much for the owner. Any opinion on the direction to go? Just to the gasket and deal with anything else later? Talking to a local guy that seems to be suggested. He would like to keep the truck a while. Then again, for the $$ spent on a new engine one could buy a newer Tacoma, possibly.

Just asking.

92 Toyota truck. Tacomas didn't come out till 95. Swap in a 3.4L. You'll not find a newer tacoma for 3K....unless it has 200K plus miles, in really bad shape and there's something wrong with it.

I would second swapping in a 3.4L. Would be a very nice upgrade and you could kiss head gasket problems goodbye.

Lc makes a kit with a special set of headgaskets and head studs to fix the 3.0 head gasket problem. Its almost always the rear of the Dr side head that blows. Some say its caused by the exhaust manifold set up.

We just did the lc kit on one last week.

I owned a 95' 4-runner with the 3.slow in it. Other then being a gutless, and a gas hog it's a reliable motor. My head gasket went at 150k and I had it replaced for about $1200 at the time and I've since sold it and it's still truckin' with 250k on the clock...

If the truck is rust free, it's easily worth it to me. That's a 300+k engine if it was maintained within normal guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back