92 Jeep Wrangler GTX 10W40 (SL) 1,144 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This report is from my '92 YJ trail rig. I am still running the oil and only sent in a sample. The oil filter is a Motorcraft FL300. I had a light wheeling season this year due to the passing of my brother back in April. I really didn't get out on the trails until summer and have only been on three runs. The rest of the mileage is from joy rides around central/western Mass and hauling the Kayak to the lake every weekend. The sodium (and silicon) from last years UOA was thought to be from the salted/dusty New England dirt roads that lead to some of the trail heads. I'm usually the "tail gunner", so I really get all the dust. I'm very pleased that it has cleared up.

Blackstone's report:
Sodium all but dropped out in this sample. We are no longer worried about a coolant leak. Thanks for the note about the type of operation that this engine sees. The low speeds and idling explain the trace of fuel we found, which is hardly a problem. The fuel lowered the viscosity slightly but this oil has obviously been working well for you so the low vis isn't a problem. No other harmful contaminants were found. At 42,000 miles wear looks great and reads well below universal average levels. We think you could easily run this oil another 2,000 miles.

EQUIPMENT MAKE: Jeep
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 2.5L 4-cyl
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 1,144 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Castrol GTX 10W40 (SL)
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts
------YJ--Universal Avg.
ALUMINUM 2 3
CHROMIUM 0 1
IRON 4 28
COPPER 2 4
LEAD 1 2
TIN 0 0
MOLYBDENUM 33 43
NICKEL 0 1
MANGANESE 0 0
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0
POTASSIUM 0 1
BORON 1 6
SILICON 7 12
SODIUM 2 8
CALCIUM 1479 2398
MAGNESIUM 3 32
PHOSPHORUS 646 844
ZINC 730 1032
BARIUM 0 0

SUS Visc @210*F 62.8 65-76
Flashpoint 370*F
Fuel TR Should be Antifreeze 0.0%
Water 0.0%
Insolubles 0.3% Should <0.6%

Last edited by a moderator:
i had a 96 wrangler 4.0 inline 6 and it was only fed gtx or havoline and i sold it in excellent running condition at 189k miles.. i dont think the 4 bangers are as tough but you should get quite a few good miles out of her..

Wow your analysis is excellent. Maybe I should consider a Jeep at this point. This engine should go on forever. Excellent choice in weights. I use mostly 40 weight oil and get excellent results with that weight. Sorry thin guys but thick is it. You should be able to go 6000 miles on this oil.

Quote:

i had a 96 wrangler 4.0 inline 6 and it was only fed gtx or havoline and i sold it in excellent running condition at 189k miles.. i dont think the 4 bangers are as tough but you should get quite a few good miles out of her..

Are you sure it wasn't a '95 YJ or '97 TJ? There was no '96 model year Wrangler. Glad you made it to 189K!

Quote:

Wow your analysis is excellent. Maybe I should consider a Jeep at this point. This engine should go on forever. Excellent choice in weights. I use mostly 40 weight oil and get excellent results with that weight. Sorry thin guys but thick is it. You should be able to go 6000 miles on this oil.

It would take me 3-4 years to put 6000 miles on the oil
crazy.gif
This Jeep is a 95% trail rig that usually sees extreme use but only 1500-2000 miles a year. The 7.05:1 first gear in my transmission, combined with my axle gears, keeps the motor at 2000+ rpm for extended periods at only 1-2MPH. I really like using Delo400 SAE30, but used the 10W40 for this change because it was the oldest in my stash (5 1/2 years).
Next wheeling season, because of the abuse per mile, I'm going to track how many gallons of fuel I burn in addition to mileage.

It was in a Cherokee, maybe?
dunno.gif
Nice run for trail use. Your 1144 miles may have been a whole lot gallons of fuel. Your fuel tracking will give you a more sensible way to reason your equivalent mileage.

Interesting UOA...nice to see a 10w40 conventional once in a while. I think it was a good choice as wear levels look good. What oil did you say you installed after draining the Castrol? Would like to see a Delo 30w UOA.

Do you happen to still have the Delo UOA? I'd like to see how the 10W-30 Delo did in your application. You can post here or PM me. Or both, to let me know if you posted it. Thanks.

Thanks for the link Gary.

I'm currently doing an AutoRx run in my YJ with Havoline 10W40 SL. I've changed the T-stat and my temps have returned to 195+/- like they should. I plan to use either Delo SAE30 or 15W40 (which ever is oldest on the shelf) for my rinse and will post up another UOA in the fall before switching to 5W30 for winter. I've actually been trying to drive her more instead of the once a month club run. I put my little 33's on to go to work too. She runs well.

I think SAE30(especially the diesel rated fleet 30's) works well in any old Jeep engine. I scored the Delo 400 SAE30 on sale for $.99/gal a couple years ago and it's worked well. I now use it in my other vehicles in summer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back