'91 Peugeot 309, weird whine coming from either the clutch or transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think I got it figured out by now, but I'd still like a second opinion before I make my parts list ready, so far this forum's been the most helpful when it came to all my issues.

So it sounds kind of like a worn alternator bearing, or wind whooshing by you. but it's not that. It's most noticeable at speeds from 20-60 km/h, and more at higher RPM. It also completely stops when I press the clutch, and you can hear a slight "clunk" as I release the clutch and it catches the gear.
So from what I have researched I think the culprit is a wearing throw out bearing on the clutch, but someone else told me it's a bearing on the transmission input shaft, and ANOTHER guy affirms my suspicion of a throw-out bearing.

I mean in the end it's not too important which of these it is since the entire transmission is junk and I'll replace it this spring or summer hopefully, and with it comes a brand new clutch since the trans is coming out anyway.

More than likely a main shaft bearing in the transmission since the throw-out bear spins when you push the clutch.

Have you checked the transmission fluid?

As noted the throwout bearing is under the most stress when the clutch pedal is pressed down. In most designs you can pull back slightly on the clutch lever and move the throwout bearing away from touching the clutch fingers at all. Then it stops spinning completely.

Does it make noise when cold & get quieter once you are under way?
The throw out bearing does that when the internal lube is almost depleted.

Originally Posted by mk378
Have you checked the transmission fluid?

As noted the throwout bearing is under the most stress when the clutch pedal is pressed down. In most designs you can pull back slightly on the clutch lever and move the throwout bearing away from touching the clutch fingers at all. Then it stops spinning completely.

Not checked the trans fluid, I was thinking of replacing the fluid at one point, because I "think" it might have leaked some over the years and that's why shifting is so stiff sometimes, but after this I decided not to bother, since this transmission is garbage and I'll replace it either this spring or summer, when I have the money to buy a used one.

Originally Posted by vw7674
Does it make noise when cold & get quieter once you are under way?
The throw out bearing does that when the internal lube is almost depleted.

Nope, it makes the same amount of noise when the engine is ice cold and when it's warmed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back