'91 Mistubishi Galant VR4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed cars, and picked up a '91 Mistubishi Galant VR4. For those that are unfamiliar it is the car that preceded the Mistubishi Evolution. It has a 2.0L turbo 4G63, 4WD (full time 50/50 split), and 4 wheel steering. It was only imported for to model years, in very limited numbers (3000 total). Mine is number 841/2000.

What do you guys think? Anyone with any tips/suggestions? I plan on keeping it stock. I'm so psyched to be back in a fun car. I just did a oil change with a 50/50 mix of M1 0W40 & 5W50 with a Napa Platinum filter.

Here's my car lineage to date. (I have a habit of changing cars every 2 years)

so this '92 Buick Roadmaster w/ 5.7L LO5......
Roadmonster001.jpg

to this '95 Buick Roadmaster w/ 5.7L LT1......
wagon1.jpg

to this '93 Nissan NX2000 w/ 2.0L SR20VE......
nx2000ve.jpg

to this '99 Acura RL w/ 3.5L C35A......
IMG_1176.jpg

and now this......
DSCN2430.jpg

DSCN2424.jpg

DSCN2426.jpg

DSCN2444.jpg

DSCN2447.jpg

I could have sworn that this car was a Normal Il, produced Diamond Star vehcile? Shares the same platform as the 1g Eclipse/Talon/Laser? Anyway, awesome little car.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Are your rear tires on right?

The direction looks correct to me, if that's what you're asking about.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I could have sworn that this car was a Normal Il, produced Diamond Star vehcile? Shares the same platform as the 1g Eclipse/Talon/Laser? Anyway, awesome little car.

You sir are incorrect, as I found out from a forum, lol. These were made in Japan, but share the same drivetrain (mostly) as the 1g Talon/Eclipse/Laser.

Boy, that VR4 looks clean. Nice score on that. Even the leather looks to be in good condition; not cracked or split, etc. Enjoy that one for sure.

That is way clean! My best friend in high school had a dark green 91. Man we had fun in that car.

At least put a new turbo on it - the stock 14b is probably huffing and puffing on it's last legs. The one on my buddies car had a ridge worn through the exhaust housing! Step up to a 16G and take the boost up a little and it's like night and day faster, without having to do anything to the ECU or fuel system.

Wow that car looks absolutely mint, has not seen much road salt that's for sure. Looks like a blast! (Please don't put a [censored] can on it)

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
You had a VERY nice fleet..Your VR4 is in excellent condition.

^^fixed this for you, lol. i've never had more than one at any time.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Please don't tell me you got rid of the RL :-( You should have called me :)

- Vikas

yes the rl is gone. it was a great car, but there were mechanical needs that i wasn't ready to throw money at (timing belt, steering rack, rear struts). it was great car, very lux.

I have NEVER heard of these cars!

I never knew Galant's came with the turbo engine!

Neat ride - thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: Scorch
Wow that car looks absolutely mint, has not seen much road salt that's for sure. Looks like a blast! (Please don't put a [censored] can on it)

lol, no [censored] cannon on this car. just maintenance upgrades.

the car is originally a california car. the 2nd owner before me had it trucked to connecticut a couple years ago. he did a ton of work while he had it, to make it his daily. the third owner here in cleveland had it trucked here (a few months ago), and then found out he was moving to florida. he decided not to take it with him and sold it to me. he hadn't even registered it in his name, so technically i'm the 3rd owner. and you wouldnt believe it but it has 193,000mi on it.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I have NEVER heard of these cars!

I never knew Galant's came with the turbo engine!

Neat ride - thanks for sharing.

yep the car is the ultimate sleeper. it was the mistubishi rally car back it in 91-92. then they took the powertrain and dropped it into the lancer and it became the first evo.

Last edited:
remarkable condition for its age. Please keep it that way. Definitely rust proof it. Wax all the door jambs and undersides of the doors after a thorough cleaning. And if it is as easy as the last guy said, upgrade that turbo to a 16!!!

is this an interference engine? My 3000 is about a $700 job to replace the timing belt and if it goes so goes the engine.
Confined area on that right side (driver's side). Sometimes a dealer is the only source for parts and expertise and in my area only one dealer left for Mitsubishi. When I visit the repair shop they are pretty slow, not crowded like a Toyota dealer, just wondering how long this brand will be around with IMO not much in the way of new models worth having.

Originally Posted By: Spector
is this an interference engine? My 3000 is about a $700 job to replace the timing belt and if it goes so goes the engine.
Confined area on that right side (driver's side). Sometimes a dealer is the only source for parts and expertise and in my area only one dealer left for Mitsubishi. When I visit the repair shop they are pretty slow, not crowded like a Toyota dealer, just wondering how long this brand will be around with IMO not much in the way of new models worth having.

yes it is an interference motor, luckily the timing belt was recently done. so i should be good to go there.

we have 3 mitsubishi dealers in the area. it is definitely a brand that seems to be fading. hopefully they can turn it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back