91 Honda Civic Si, 1.6L Engine Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about getting a new engine for my 91 Honda Civic Hatchback Si.

What are my options? B16 engine swap or try to get a used and original D16A6 engine on it? If I knew of a good rebuilding shop I would go that route.

I thought about removing the head to get it rebuilt but I'm not too sure that the bottom end is going to be holding up very long.
Car still runs and does not overheat but I am loosing engine coolant.

Anyone know of a good shop out here in California that can rebuild heads or a shop that sells and installs B16 engines?

Is the B16 swap just a simple swap or are modifications expected?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

turbo ing the honda d16 is easy and cheap ,,,, rebuilding the engine is east and requires almost no crazy tools ...
you can buy ebay vitara pistons they install backwards and you can get forged rods in a set of 4 ...
injectors and hondata ecu intercoolers all available off ebay

plz check out boostedboiz on youtube and humblepreformance YT

they get 500hp out of them ,,, but i suggest a tamer turbo with more lag down low with an internal wastegate and stop at 350hp....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fixitup219
turbo ing the honda d16 is easy and cheap ,,,, rebuilding the engine is east and requires almost no crazy tools ...
you can buy ebay vitara pistons they install backwards and you can get forged rods in a set of 4 ...
injectors and hondata ecu intercoolers all available off ebay

plz check out boostedboiz on youtube and humblepreformance YT

they get 500hp out of them ,,, but i suggest a tamer turbo with more lag down low with an internal wastegate and stop at 350hp....

Man, thats too much power. Lol

Meant to post this on "General Automotive Topics". Wonder if my post will remain here

Originally Posted by Gito
Thinking about getting a new engine for my 91 Honda Civic Hatchback Si.

What are my options? B16 engine swap or try to get a used and original D16A6 engine on it? If I knew of a good rebuilding shop I would go that route.

I thought about removing the head to get it rebuilt but I'm not too sure that the bottom end is going to be holding up very long.
Car still runs and does not overheat but I am loosing engine coolant.

Anyone know of a good shop out here in California that can rebuild heads or a shop that sells and installs B16 engines?

Is the B16 swap just a simple swap or are modifications expected?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Get rid of that D16 engine, not worth investing on an 30 year old engine designed for fuel economy.

Get a K20Z3 (or K20A2) head and K24A2 short block. There is no "simple swap" unfortunately, but there are many kits you can use to make things easier.

Also, you need a flashpro/kpro to tune your car. K-Tuned also has k20/k24 swap kits (engine mounts, wiring harness, shifter parts etc.) for older Civics.

I'd recommend following this guide and do your own research before you start buying parts.

https://www.hybrid-racing.com/blogs/hybrid-racing/k20-k24-hybrid-engine-build-guide

Without a turbocharger or supercharger, you can achieve 240-270whp depending on the fuel, tune, type of cams and compression ratio, which can also be a great daily driver.

One last thing, I wouldn't recommend B16 swap, as you have to go through same steps (it's also not a "simple swap" either), and K20/K24 engines are better than the B16 in every way.

You could always go with a ZC swap if you wanted to keep it cheap. It's pretty much a direct swap, and you can keep your existing transmission. Plus your si is already MPFI so you don't have to rewire from the DPFI

An OBD0 Jdm b16 swap isn't that hard to do either. It's just quite a bit more expensive. A lot more fun to drive though lol, I had 2 EF civics years ago. 91 hatch and 90 4 door, both B16 swapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back