9005L Headlight Bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what the differences are between a 9005L and 9005 bulbs?

My 2015 Hyundai Elantra specs a 9005L 60W bulb. Looking to upgrade.

Thanks.

Are these for a high beam application?

If so the best upgrade is a Phillips HIR1 9011 bulb with a small tab trim.

If you don't want to trim the tab the next brightest is Phillips Xtreme power or ge Nighthawk Platinum 9005.

Here's some links. ALSO FYI- they now carry 9011 at my local autozone, the only local store to have them physically there. I have a set of these in my Buick i got them off homedepot website. They give free shipping if you get up to a certain amount i think 45 bucks.

HIR1 9011 bulbs $18.53 each
www.amazon.com/Philips-9011-Standard-Headlight-Bulb/dp/B00480J5CW

how to mod it
http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

Also i forgot to mention they don't make the Xtreme power for 9005, you will want the "Xtreme Vision" if you don't want to mod the base, which BTW is super easy with a dremel or grinder.

Phillips Xtreme Vision 2 pack $35
www.amazon.com/Philips-9005XVS2-X-Treme-Vision-Headlight/dp/B00BQWQLOU

Ge Nighthawk Platinum 2 pack $35
www.amazon.com/GE-9005NHP-BP2-Nighthawk-Headlight/dp/B002UX1T78

For the same price i would choose the Phillips. GE Nighthawk platinum's were being sold at Ollies baragin outlet recently for $10 if you have one nearby you can check for stock.

Be careful here -- the "L" bulbs are likely the straight base, and a 9011 or 9012 would not work if they used the straight base for clearance against the headlamp housing or similar.

To the OP, it'd be best to take a photo of the back of the headlamp housing, showing the back of the bulbs, so we can see what you're seeing.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Be careful here -- the "L" bulbs are likely the straight base, and a 9011 or 9012 would not work if they used the straight base for clearance against the headlamp housing or similar.

To the OP, it'd be best to take a photo of the back of the headlamp housing, showing the back of the bulbs, so we can see what you're seeing.

Very interesting never seen this straight base before. So used to dealing with common 9005/9006 setups.

The 9005L looks exactly like 9005.

Same base. No difference in bulb length or filiment placement, at lease visually.

However, these are 60W bulbs, as opposed to 65W for normal 9005 bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back