9 months to long to run oil in following circumstance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 5w-30 has been in my 2001 Tacoma for 9 months and 5600 miles.

My 2 previous UOA at 5000 and 5800 miles were well within limits with the suggestion that I run 7000 miles on next change and send in UOA. 7000 miles was my intended interval goal in the first place with this oil.

The reason for the low mileage is that I started carpooling last fall and the truck is not driven on my days off. Oil was put in early last winter.

I'm wondering if any problems could exist with this length of time and if I could actually go out to 12 months/7000 miles which ever comes first on this change?

Thanks

Unless you are now doing really short trips with the motor not getting fully up to temperature I would say you should be ok.

quote:

Originally posted by Bonkers:
M1 5w-30 has been in my 2001 Tacoma for 9 months and 5600 miles.

My 2 previous UOA at 5000 and 5800 miles were well within limits with the suggestion that I run 7000 miles on next change and send in UOA. 7000 miles was my intended interval goal in the first place with this oil.

The reason for the low mileage is that I started carpooling last fall and the truck is not driven on my days off. Oil was put in early last winter.

I'm wondering if any problems could exist with this length of time and if I could actually go out to 12 months/7000 miles which ever comes first on this change?

Thanks

Sounds very reasonable to me. That is well within what GM sets for the LS1. And I can't imagine Toyota would be any more demanding. 2 disclaimers:

Very dusty climates or oprations that keeps the oil above or below the design ideal of aprox. 100 deg C for most of the running time.

I would stick with the schedule in the warranty book which I believe is 6 months. I would just stick with 6 months with synthetic.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 9400 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 91400 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Since you are watching via UOAs you should be fine, but if this is a "test" to establish a plan for future OCIs I would get Terry Dyson to look at all your results for a final "blessing of the plan."

I tend to gravitate toward time based schedules instead of mileage based schedules. In your case I do not really see a problem going 12 month (7500 mi) intervals on synthetic.

If you would feel more comfortable on 6 month intervals you could use Motorcraft 5W-30 as I see no reason for synthetic in that case.

If you would like a little more peace of mind for the 12 month intervals you could switch to Mobile 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 as it is capable of longer drains than the M1 5W-30.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back