9,748 Miles on Mobil 1 M1-601 Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran this M1-601 Filter on my 1995 Ford F-250 Power Stroke 7.3 for exactly 9,748 miles.
But it's a 15K oil filter..
Yeah, I know but almost 10,000 miles on something as old as my 95 is equivalent to 15,000 miles...HA!

I enjoy watching others hack into used oil filters to see how they hold up. So, I decided to hack my own to see how well it held up. I ran 5w-40 Shell T6 HDEO. I took my 20v dewalt recipricating saw & got to work (no fancy oil filter cutter here). The pictures show the results but in my opinion the filter held up really well. I was not easy on this filter & oil either. I hauled a 14,000 lb gooseneck loaded w/track loader once & pulled it again later on. I also hauled my 3,000lb truck camper about 500 miles & many short 20 mile trips.

The filter was installed for 11 months. I do not recommend going this long doing what I did if you own something as old as my truck w/o keeping a good eye on the oil or have an oil analysis done. The filter did not distort in anyway & everything looked good. Over all it looks like I was due to replace the filter & dirtied it up pretty good.

Next year I'll be hacking into a Fram ultra oil filter so keep an eye on that review.

Bonus Story: I spilled 14 quarts of motor oil all over my garage floor! I forgot to open the center drain pan plug & yeah... You see the results... DOH!

Thanks Folks!

oh man thats gonna leave a mark. I forgot to put the O-ring on the oil filter canister on my 300sd and spilled a good 5 quarts of oil all over my driveway. It was just as black as your oil and it was new.

Kitty, kitty, kitty, litter TIME !!! Wowsa!! That is rough. That filter looks ok but looks like a wolverine got hold of it for a bit. That can is tough enough to keep that narly critter at bay. Good job with your cut and post. Thank you for your work here.

Originally Posted By: fantastic
Bonus Story: I spilled 14 quarts of motor oil all over my garage floor! I forgot to open the center drain pan plug & yeah... You see the results... DOH!

Haha I've done that before!!
laugh.gif

At teh bottom of the fourth picture, I see a gap in the filter media. Is that supposed to be there---or did that come from your cutting the can?

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Kitty, kitty, kitty, litter TIME !!! Wowsa!! That is rough. That filter looks ok but looks like a wolverine got hold of it for a bit. That can is tough enough to keep that narly critter at bay. Good job with your cut and post. Thank you for your work here.

Hey Colonel, you remind me of the late Paul Harvey; always making it so I can understand
wink.gif
. J/k

OP: thanks for c&p, filter looks fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: paulri
At teh bottom of the fourth picture, I see a gap in the filter media. Is that supposed to be there---or did that come from your cutting the can?

Yes, that is from my poor hack job...lol

Originally Posted By: KingCake
are those louvers supposed to be closed

Not sure what you're referring too?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Haha I've done that before!!
laugh.gif

Glad I'm not the only one.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero

laugh.gif
Busted up when I read "looks like a wolverine got a hold of it". I told my wife "were going to need a really big bag of kitty litter" haha. I have a small bag about half fool but it would be a joke in this situation. I did use the nearby saw dust to prevent further "leaching" of the oil puddle (essentially just building a levee around the oil). The saw dust worked great for that.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
oh man thats gonna leave a mark. I forgot to put the O-ring on the oil filter canister on my 300sd and spilled a good 5 quarts of oil all over my driveway. It was just as black as your oil and it was new.

You got lucky w/only 5 quarts lol I seen a early 2000 era S350? It was a diesel in all white. I really like those bodystyle's. Those 300sd's are tanks.

Last edited:

There not closed. Louvers point in both directions.

Last edited:

Hahahaha! I love it!

I get so sick and tired of listening to people obsess about "partially open louvers"

Originally Posted By: Garak
Are you sure I didn't change the oil for you, given the big mess?
wink.gif

You know i'm 33 years young but i've rebuilt a couple cars in that time & these DIY oil changes on a 7.3 are kicking my butt haha I told my wife that these diesels trucks are no Ford Festiva. The oil filter's are about x4 times that size.

Changing the filter on the last oil change: The (HOT) oil filter ended up on my chest w/oil up & down my face w/my son laughing at me. lol

Trust me..I'm as clumsy as they come w/oil changes... I can make big messes & then post them to BITOG to prove it ha ha
wink.gif

Side Note: a few months ago I mentioned Saskatchewan to my wife & she kept laughing saying it "sounded funny" lol

Last edited:
Yeah I'm in a creative mood tonight. You did a good job on your cut down of that filter. That badboy is quite long indeed. I have to say that having a problem with 5 qts is bad enough. But 14 is super tough.

Yeah Car51 I liked Paul Harvey too. He was really great. I like "the rest of the story" he did.

Is that a tear towards the bottom of the filter in pic 4? It looks like separation between one of the endcaps and the filter media, although it also appears to be all around the filter... not sure what that is.

Is that a tear towards the bottom of the filter in pic 4? It looks like separation between one of the endcaps and the filter media, although it also appears to be all around the filter... not sure what that is.

Is this what your talking about?

EDIT: or you may be referring to the "bubbled" metal on the end caps that look like the metal has been bent away from the element filter?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting - this is a 10k M1 filter from Ford Explorer - 10k my max regardless

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Bonus tip: Use a flap disc on a grinder and grind off the crimp, go around and you can see when you go through the crimp. Works as slick as the fancy cutters and no wolverine marks!

Thanks for the tip! I will keep this in mind.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Thanks for posting - this is a 10k M1 filter from Ford Explorer - 10k my max regardless[/img]

cool.gif
I fully agree w/10 being max (I drive old stuff). Besides, by 10k I'm getting oil change fever by then. I was skimming the internet earlier today & found out about the Purolator Boss 15k mile line of filters w/100% fully synthetic element. Where as these mobile "Extended" filters are only synthetic blend element. I might buy a boss after running my current fram ultra.

Next time you are changing the oil, drain the sump and plug it. Next move the pan under the oil filter drive a punch into the bottom of the oil filter, remove punch and let it drain out into the pan then remove empty filter.

Yes, that part that you put the rectangle around in the pic. That's what I was talking about.

Is this what your talking about?

EDIT: or you may be referring to the "bubbled" metal on the end caps that look like the metal has been bent away from the element filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back