9.2k "zero consumption"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well BITOG it's been a while. Hello again!

So last summer I sold my 88 Mazda 323 and bought a 2006 Mazda 6 (47k miles). Looking in the oil fill hole it looked like a mirror finish. Supposedly 3k chges on YB.

I dropped in M1 0w20. (Planning 10k mile OCI - presently at 9.2k) This last wkend I did a 400 mile round trip (went to Fayetteville AR from Little Rock for the Red/White game). Trip included about 20 minutes of near redline driving the "Pig Trail" (highway 23 - plenty of 10 mph curve warning signs). I take the curves at a reasonable speed, but coming out of them I goose it - to make it memorable for my two sons (wife and daughter stayed home, otherwise goosing it would not have been an option). So anyway, whatever non-oil fluids in the crankcase should now be burned out after 400 miles. Yet the oil line is at the full mark. I've put zero oil in since the OC. It's been at the full mark for the full 9.2k miles. Nice oil, nice engine.

(Car is otherwise driven gently by my wife - kids to school, some medium range trips & errands)

In 9.2k miles I would have had to add about 6 quarts of oil to my sump
48.gif

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
48.gif

I bet your engine's rings are stuck. You know what you should do? I hear there's that miracle product, which will unstick those rings gently over many thousands of miles of driving. I can't recall the name of the product, but someone here might now!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moribundman
48.gif

I bet your engine's rings are stuck. You know what you should do? I hear there's that miracle product, which will unstick those rings gently over many thousands of miles of driving. I can't recall the name of the product, but someone here might now!
wink.gif

You know what you should do? Stop responding to my posts. I don't value your opinion. At all.

You know what you should do? Stop responding to my posts. I don't value your opinion. At all.

Do you think I'll respond favorably to you telling me what I should do? Diplomacy isn't your forté, eh?
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Well BITOG it's been a while. Hello again!

So last summer I sold my 88 Mazda 323 and bought a 2006 Mazda 6 (47k miles). Looking in the oil fill hole it looked like a mirror finish. Supposedly 3k chges on YB.

I dropped in M1 0w20. (Planning 10k mile OCI - presently at 9.2k) This last wkend I did a 400 mile round trip (went to Fayetteville AR from Little Rock for the Red/White game). Trip included about 20 minutes of near redline driving the "Pig Trail" (highway 23 - plenty of 10 mph curve warning signs). I take the curves at a reasonable speed, but coming out of them I goose it - to make it memorable for my two sons (wife and daughter stayed home, otherwise goosing it would not have been an option). So anyway, whatever non-oil fluids in the crankcase should now be burned out after 400 miles. Yet the oil line is at the full mark. I've put zero oil in since the OC. It's been at the full mark for the full 9.2k miles. Nice oil, nice engine.

(Car is otherwise driven gently by my wife - kids to school, some medium range trips & errands)

Is that engine speced for 20W oil?

48.gif

You should auto-rx it and see if that helps.

Originally Posted By: PT1
48.gif

I have Auto RX'ed it. While it did wonders for my fuel mileage; my oil consumption hasn't really gone down. My car has used/leaked oil ever since I got it, and I'm not really sure where it's going. There isn't any smoke from my exhaust.

48.gif

I have Auto RX'ed it. While it did wonders for my fuel mileage; my oil consumption hasn't really gone down. My car has used/leaked oil ever since I got it, and I'm not really sure where it's going. There isn't any smoke from my exhaust.

Try the nightime test. Start it up cold at night in the dark and shine a flashlight on the exhaust. If it is smoking you will see it then. How much does it leak vs burn? Have you tried maxlife?

Last edited:
48.gif

Try the nightime test. Start it up cold at night in the dark and shine a flashlight on the exhaust. If it is smoking you will see it then. How much does it leak vs burn? Have you tried maxlife?

I've done the flashlight thing. I see a tiny bit of a cloud of something on startup, but it goes away immediately.

Oil leaks are very minimal, because I almost never see drips under the car. I do see a drip clinging to the drain plug, oil filter and oil cooler lines every time I get under it, but never any drips on the ground, except immediately after an oil change. The oil filter pours oil all over the pitman arm when you remove it, and it's nearly impossible to clean it all up with a rag.

I've not used Maxlife. I only use fully synthetic oil in my vehicle now, so the regular Maxlife is out. I haven't seen the full synthetic Maxlife in 5 quart jugs for a while, and I've never seen it in 5W-20. I have Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 and 4oz of Auto RX in right now, but I would love to find a good quality high mileage additive to mix in just to see if it makes a difference.

I have 1600 miles on the PP right now, and added a full quart 500 miles ago for top-off. It consumed a full quart in that first 1,100 miles. I don't know if being about half a quart over-full has anything to do with that... If I put 5 quarts in, it will always read significantly high on the stick. It's a 96 Crown Victoria, so it should have a 5 quart sump. I topped off when the level was right between "add" and "full".

I'm hoping that the consumption will drop over the next 5,000 miles or so. If it doesn't, I may need to have a look at the valve seals.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
48.gif

wink.gif

LOL.gif

4.6 SOHC V8, with just shy of 131,000 miles. It's an ex police cruiser.

It has been consuming oil ever since I bought it with around 85K miles on it, even when using 10W-30. I put an oil separator in my PCV line and it catches quite a bit of oil, but not enough to account for more than 1/8 of my consumption.

Entirely possible. It was running like [censored] when I bought it because the DPFE sensor was dead. Who knows how long that had been going on.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Where you been? Good to see you posting again.
thumbsup2.gif

I've been out stress testing this M1 0w20. Someone's got to go out there and push these products to see what they're made of. Can't just sit at the pc and write on BITOG all the time. :)

Meanwhile, got Wally dino (10w40) in my '98 Sienna - has 8 months and ~3k on the oil. Still nice amber. Have several years worth of Pennz HM 10w40 HM jugs that will go in the Sienna in the future. The Sienna's synthetic days are over (basically now a backup and long trip vehicle).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back