9/11 US

Status
Not open for further replies.
WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER.jpg
American Eagle.jpg

I was not born yet but I was around because I was in the womb lol. Such a tragic event. My dad at the time was running a Roanoke VA- Philadelphia PA run and his company said well if you don’t want to go then that’s fine but just know you won’t have a job if you don’t so he had to go. Luckily nothing else happened. That was on the night of 9/11 after it happened.

Remember that morning vividly i had just walked my daughter to school , turned on the T.V could not believe what i was watching as the plane flew into the tower . The most heart breaking thing i have ever witnessed ! and i will never forget the sight of people jumping to their deaths.

This has been a rough day for everyone in my circle
The city as a whole is in a mood of reflection
I've touched all 5 boroughs in the past two days, and you can always see the lights
PXL_20210910_235606609.jpg

PXL_20210912_034536199.jpg

Now I was a mere ~5 year old at the time, in kindergarten at the neighborhood public school
My mother had to come pick us up, because everything was going into lockdown
I can say this being older now, don't bother trying to hide things from children, we've got the message, even if we didn't fully grasp the scope of something
Being in an area of distinctly blue collar workers, especially civil servants, many of our friends found out they'd lost a parent (or both) by the time they got home
Plumbers, construction unions, cops, firefighters, utility workers, nurses
We had a little of everyone on the block, no household was left unaffected
I distinctly remember a significant uptick in funeral attendance in the following weeks 🥺
My father was driving car service, he was running Doctor's and nurse's to the ferry terminal
Don't worry about the money he told them, that's the least of our problems😳
A neighbor of mines parents had there daughter the 9th, they threw them out of the hospital early anticipating a barrage of patients that never came 😕
Communications being as primitive as they were back then, many people didn't know about what happened until late in the evening
Go down any street, you could hear radio and TV throughout
Cell phones were useless (most traffic went through Verizon's NOC that went down with the north tower)
My Grandma and Aunt both fled two different ways, one via ferry to Jersey City, the other ran over the Brooklyn Bridge back home to Park Slope
There was sadness, there was pain, there was much grief, there was anger (some of which I'm not proud of seeing in hindsight)
I'm just happy no one tried to pull any stunts this year

Never forget

Last edited:
I was in 8th grade math class when the vice principal ran down the hall, yelling for every teacher to turn on their TVs. It was right after the 2nd tower was hit. It's a day I will never forget.

The 9/11 attacks were a lot of reasoning behind me joining the military. My Captain at my first duty station was a tax lawyer in 2001. He lost his brother in the South tower. He left his firm to join the Army afterwards. He did 2 tours in Afghanistan and 1 in Iraq. In 2012, just a week after celebrating 10 years in service, he was killed by a drunk driver.

I was 5 years old at the time and don’t remember this at all. I’ve watched a lot of the tv documentaries on it though to try to understand what happened that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back