9,000 mile OCI on 2004 Malibu Maxx ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change the oil on all my kids cars. I use Mobil 1 and 7500 mile OCI. My daughter has a 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx (3.4 liter V6)with 78,000 miles on it. We usually go by the OLM and change oil at about 6,800 miles. Well, last time she made some trips and it was 9,000 miles (well over OLM).

I remember when BITOG did a test on a Chevy LS1 that went 18,000 miles (with 1,000 mile UOA) on Mobil 1 before needing changed (they changed oil filter at 11,000 miles). So, I guess this is okay? Opinions?

Last edited:
I did M1 10,000 mile intervals for years in my 2000 Chevy Silverado. Worked perfect, no problems whatsoever. You are fine by a longshot!

If the Oil life monitor says it can do it, then it probably can.
They are designed to be very accurate.

If their was alot of highway miles involved then it probably could go that far.

My Father owns a new Trailblazer. He gets $20 oil changes at the dealership. The farthest he has gone on one OCI is 4,700 miles, his Oil Life Monitor was down to 68%.
If you want to work the numbers that means that he could have potentially gone 14,687.5 before it went down to 0%. It would be unwise, and void your warrenty, but it theoretically it could be done.
One day I want him to run a few full synthetic OCI's and get analysis on them and see how accurate it is. But I think I will wait a few years.
The Trailblazer only has 12,000 miles on it or something like it, they have had it about a year. Lots of vacationing in that car, a few trips from Texas up to New York to visit my brother.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
If the Oil life monitor says it can do it, then it probably can.
They are designed to be very accurate.

If their was alot of highway miles involved then it probably could go that far.

My Father owns a new Trailblazer. He gets $20 oil changes at the dealership. The farthest he has gone on one OCI is 4,700 miles, his Oil Life Monitor was down to 68%.
If you want to work the numbers that means that he could have potentially gone 14,687.5 before it went down to 0%. It would be unwise, and void your warrenty, but it theoretically it could be done.
One day I want him to run a few full synthetic OCI's and get analysis on them and see how accurate it is. But I think I will wait a few years.
The Trailblazer only has 12,000 miles on it or something like it, they have had it about a year. Lots of vacationing in that car, a few trips from Texas up to New York to visit my brother.

I modified my post, my daughter hit 0% on the OLM BEFORE she got to 9,000 miles. I told her it would be okay because I knew that the OLM is based on dino oil and usually says 0% at 6,800 miles. I didn't think she would put on another 2200 miles !

I can see it.

My Cobalt uses M1 as the recommended fill, and the car is my toy so I don't drive it daily, and when I do drive it it tends to be on the highway for at least an hour at a time.

My OLM and On-Star's diagnostics are guesstimating a 9200-mile interval based on my driving pattern. I think I'm down to 86% life left. Since the manual says to go by the OLM and no longer than a year between changes no matter what the OLM says, it's probably going to get an oil change this November.

Thanks guys for the replies, they confirm what I thought.

opus1 that gives me a good feel for what the OCI can be for synthetic oil.

And gfh77665 running 10,000 mile OCIs on a similar engine is also good info.

Not a bad response in the bunch.

Last edited:
Most syn oil users really do not understand that the main benefit of syn oil is longer oil change intervals. Quality syn oils usually do 10,000+ miles as easy as dino oils do 5,000 miles. I don't understand why people believe all the benefits claimed by the syn oil sellers yet for some reason do not believe it lasts longer.

Malis tend to be tough cars (my sister-in-law is abusing one as I speak), so that should not be a problem.

Doesn't make a difference whether it is the 2.2 or the 3.5.

A co worker is rulling 7k+ on his Malibu right now...doesn't even follow the OLM...car still runs good , though...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Malis tend to be tough cars (my sister-in-law is abusing one as I speak)
LOL.gif
I can tell you really like her!

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I change the oil on all my kids cars. I use Mobil 1 and 7500 mile OCI. My daughter has a 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx (3.4 liter V6)with 78,000 miles on it. We usually go by the OLM and change oil at about 6,800 miles. Well, last time she made some trips and it was 9,000 miles (well over OLM).

I remember when BITOG did a test on a Chevy LS1 that went 18,000 miles (with 1,000 mile UOA) on Mobil 1 before needing changed (they changed oil filter at 11,000 miles). So, I guess this is okay? Opinions?

Corvette Owner,

I just bought a nice n cool looking 08 Impala SS and what a nice car it is. I too plan to use the oil change indicator to help guide me to my next oil changes. I don't believe you did any damage to the Malibu. If you want an extra safety factor then condier the Mobil 1 "extended" and just have you daughter pay more attention to the oil change monitor in the future. You know she'll forget but at least the extended oil will help compensate.

Durango

I wouldn't worry about it. I've run my wife's '04 Maxx to about 10K on Delo SAE30 (following the OLM) and even 6-6500 mile SuperTech dino changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back