.8qt Overfill, leave it alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil on my brother's Corolla two weeks ago and put in 4 qts. I assumed that's what it took. Well, he has driven around 2K already. I went to check his oil with him today and it looked a bit overfull. Turns out the '97 Corolla 1.6 only takes 3.2qts. Should I leave it be or maybe change the filter to remove 1/4qt or so? I'm not really worried about it, he has driven over 2K already, but still would like some input. What do you guys think? I should have checked the capacity beforehand, but oh well now I know.

If the crank shaft is going to hit the oil, it's only going to do it on start-up. Once running, the oil level drops as a quart or more of oil is thrown around inside the engine. If you notice slow starts in cold weather, remove some.

If it were mine..I'd leave it... Like Drew99GT said above, it'll probably consume it eventually .
grin.gif

The dipstick "Full" marker is just created by idiot Scientists and Engineers with nothing better to do with their time...Yeah...Go ahead...Ignore it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Remove the oil filter and reinstall it(no need for new filter) will drain about 1/4-1/2 quarts.

For vehicles with filter at the bottom closed to drain, would that not be the same as removing the drain plug? How to prevent over draining or how to stop?

Originally Posted By: max88
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Remove the oil filter and reinstall it(no need for new filter) will drain about 1/4-1/2 quarts.

For vehicles with filter at the bottom closed to drain, would that not be the same as removing the drain plug? How to prevent over draining or how to stop?

No oil filter should continue pouring oil out like the drain plug. It should take oil pressure to get oil to the oil filter housing.

Side note, just leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back