8K mile LS7 oil pan plug pics

I just got this 07 Z06 with 7800 miles that is all original.
I had a hell of a time attempting to remove the filter and the two drain plugs (used a breaker bar) so an idiot worked on it for sure.

Aside from that inconvenience, the anti sieze like goop I found on one plug (they’re both magnetic) was concerning. I managed to squeeze a couple pics of the crap. I’m wondering if you guys have seen similar things ?

Attachments

• 051676B2-657D-40EF-85C8-2DABF6E784A1.jpeg
    051676B2-657D-40EF-85C8-2DABF6E784A1.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 211
  • F0D41557-FDAA-45DD-9909-069CF64DEFF8.jpeg
    F0D41557-FDAA-45DD-9909-069CF64DEFF8.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 211
Aside from that inconvenience, the anti sieze like goop I found on one plug (they’re both magnetic) was concerning.
There is absolutely no reason to use an anti-seize compound or any other thread sealant on oil drain plugs. I would talk my time, clean the oil pan drain holes thoroughly and inspect the threads with an LED flashlight to make sure that none of the threads are stripped. The amount of metallic goop on the magnet looks about right for that kind of low mileage. Each engine has a different break-in wear rate influenced by a variety of factors that are for the most part out of your control.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your referring to the stuff on the threads, be thankful. those plugs may not have come out after 14 years of sitting. If its the sludge on the tips thats normal wear, I see it every time I change the oil on mine.

Hey fellas. No one used anti sieze on the plugs. I said it LOOKED like (the sludge). Also The oil and filter aren’t original ones back from 07. I only have one receipt and it’s from 2015. That’s not to say it wasn’t done more frequently. The car is a garage queen. Clearly. I’ll probably do another oil change next year and see how it looks.

I use a fair amount of magnetic plugs, I wouldnt be concerned being this is your first change and less then 8000 miles on the engine.
Next oil change I would expect about half that amount until the time comes where there is just a light dusting of particles.

Need pics of the car. ISsit bone stock? How does it run?
And you have to tell us about the oil you put in so we cab ruminate over you questionable choice :)
I don't recall but I assume these are 6 speed MT cars. Enjoy.

Hey fellas. No one used anti sieze on the plugs. I said it LOOKED like (the sludge). Also The oil and filter aren’t original ones back from 07. I only have one receipt and it’s from 2015. That’s not to say it wasn’t done more frequently. The car is a garage queen. Clearly. I’ll
And you have to tell us about the oil you put in so we cab ruminate over you questionable choice :)

Attachments

• 6EA4AAC6-8AED-4CDB-9E7B-D25EE2B4B216.jpeg
    6EA4AAC6-8AED-4CDB-9E7B-D25EE2B4B216.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 9384AB40-50FC-4757-9A6C-DBDFD644C57C.jpeg
    9384AB40-50FC-4757-9A6C-DBDFD644C57C.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 39
Hey fellas. No one used anti sieze on the plugs. I said it LOOKED like (the sludge). Also The oil and filter aren’t original ones back from 07. I only have one receipt and it’s from 2015. That’s not to say it wasn’t done more frequently. The car is a garage queen. Clearly. I’ll
It is bone stock. It had a stupid intake on it that I’ve since removed and put the stock one back in. Car runs and drives good. No insulation so you get hot and hear all the rocks 😂.
It’s on pennzoil ultra platinum but may be on valvoline vr1 as it has lots of zinc.

It is bone stock. It had a stupid intake on it that I’ve since removed and put the stock one back in. Car runs and drives good. No insulation so you get hot and hear all the rocks 😂.
It’s on pennzoil ultra platinum but may be on valvoline vr1 as it has lots of zinc.
VR1 also has high phosphorous, which is going to be harmful to the catalytic converters. For a bone stock LS7 with hydraulic roller lifters, you're not going to need 1,400ppm of zinc. If you had aftermarket solid rollers, then yes.

For your engine, any Dexos oil will work. Royal Purple or honestly Supertech would be fine, both have 840+ppm of zinc, but don't have 1,300ppm of phosphorous.

Back