BARIUM 0 ... 3

MI/HR ON OIL 2,700 6 Months

MI/HR ON UNIT 136,969
SUS @210F was 54.8 ..... should be 59 - 68
Flashpoint " 345 ..... " should be >365
Fuel " 1.0 ..... " should be antifreeze " 0 ..... " 0
water " < 0.1 ..... " 0
Insolubles " 0.5 ..... "
Blackstone Sez : Silicon was very high at 119 ppm. It may show an abrasive contaminant in the oil, such as abrasive dirt escaping the air filter. We also found high metals in the oil--primarily bearing metals. If you've had this engine opened recently for work, then silicon could be from sealers and metals from new parts wearing in. But you didn't mention any recent work so we are concerned that you may have poor wear at the bearings. The fuel is not enoughh to hurt anything & is from idling/city driving. Sodium may show a trace of coolant. Is the engine running well ?

My comments: This interval is the rinse phase of my no. 1 Auto-Rx application. I am assuming the metal wear is showing cleaning of 15 years of accumulation. Since I have had it for the last 40k miles, I have used Mobil1 10W30. Before that ... ??
Last spring I added the AutoRx; the engine leaked badly enough that I added quite a bit of makeup oil, all the various leftover bottles I had around. Valvoline, Havoline 20W50, etc. When I added, I also added some A-Rx to keep the ratio up. But because of all that I didn't know if I had wasted the A-Rx application or not.

Finally, the leaking was so bad that I couldn't get the emissions test done due to smoking off the exhaust as I pulled in. I changed the valve cover gaskets, upper intake manifold gasket, ...and then ultimately, to shorten the story, I changed the oil pan gasket. These gaskets were all premium silicone material. Can this be the source of the silicon ?

During this interval, from last Fall, there was no leakage and no make-up oil. Pennzoil 10W30.

At this change, I added Pennzoil LongLife.
After receiving the report, I concluded that it looks like the A-Rx is indeed working, so I went back and added a bottle for the 2nd application.
There was a bit of black gritty paste in the Bosch filter-- but, the filter was not "filled with cr*p" like some have reported.

That's in now. If I recall right, I am to drain and refill in 1000 miles to conclude the A'Rx treatments.

They ask, "...is the engine running well?" Yes. Very well.

Comments ?

[ May 14, 2004, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: dkcase ]

One thing this tells me:

It is wrong to make blanket assumptions about what oil works, and what oil doesn't based on OTHER peoples UOAs... gotta test the stuff in your own engine and look for a trend.

My 95 5.0 did very well with Pennzoil 10W-30 (do a search on my user number)... yours did not seem to fare so well (unless the Rx had some effect on UOA).

The Pennzoil doesn't seem to be doing so well in the engine. How did the Mobil-1 perform? Maybe Castrol or Castrol High Mileage would be a good choice for this application.

"The Pennzoil doesn't seem to be doing so well in the engine. How did the Mobil-1 perform? Maybe Castrol or Castrol High Mileage would be a good choice for this application."

How can you say Pennzoil didn't do well in this engine? First get the silicon problem resolved, flush engine, then re-check...I guarantee you will see better results. You cannon dam an oil when there are other problems with the vehicle that are causing a UOA to look bad.

This is the rinse oil of an arx treatment, so you can't really blame the oil.

That said, I think a 15W-40 would be more suited to this motor, for summer at least. Be interested to see further UAO's after the arx cleaning is complete.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back