89 Mercedes 560SEL — Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 with 2100 miles

Sent in a sample on my 560SEL to check for fuel dilution to be sure the CIS injectors weren't dribbling fuel into the oil. Everything looks good.

Topped off with some Valvoline 5W40 a few times before changing the valve stem seals. Lots of idle time on this oil change from bleeding the cooling system and other maintenance work I’ve done to the vehicle.

Also added a bottle of ATP 205 at the beginning of the change to help with the valve stem seals before I had a chance to get to them.

Not sure what zinc/phosphorus levels should be at for the M117 engines. What do y’all think? Thinking of going to M1 FS 5W40 that seems to have the usual M1 1000/1100 phos/zinc levels of their euro oils for its next fill.

Attachments

• 78909ED7-2543-4C26-BD28-F59B97DFF0D4.jpeg
    78909ED7-2543-4C26-BD28-F59B97DFF0D4.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 112
I think you want high ZDDP in these engines, Delvac Extreme 15W40 has around 1200ppm of phos, Mobil1 15W50 has 1200ppm of phos, Valvoline VR1 has 1300ppm for all grades, I'd probably run the 20W-50, or straight 30, straight 40 or a blend of straight 30 and 40, I believe you want and oil with an HTHS over 3.5, I'm pretty sure the 10W-30 VR1 is probably around 3.2-3.3 at most. If you're in Texas straight grade should be fine, I presume you don't really drive this car on colder "winter" days anyways.

Reactions: Y_K
I think you want high ZDDP in these engines, Delvac Extreme 15W40 has around 1200ppm of phos, Mobil1 15W50 has 1200ppm of phos, Valvoline VR1 has 1300ppm for all grades, I'd probably run the 20W-50, or straight 30, straight 40 or a blend of straight 30 and 40, I believe you want and oil with an HTHS over 3.5, I'm pretty sure the 10W-30 VR1 is probably around 3.2-3.3 at most. If you're in Texas straight grade should be fine, I presume you don't really drive this car on colder "winter" days anyways.
That Delvac Extreme 15W40 looks interesting for this application. Don't really have a desire to run something thicker than 15W40. These engines were back specced to 229.3 and 229.5 oils along the way so there's no need for something super thick. It isn't my primary vehicle but I don't shy away from daily driving it every so often. Cold weather isn't going to keep me from driving it...it isn't a garage queen at all.

Last edited:
That Delvac Extreme 15W40 looks interesting for this application. Don't really have a desire to run something thicker than 15W40. These engines were back specced to 229.3 and 229.5 oils along the way so there's no need for something super thick. It isn't my primary vehicle but I don't shy away from daily driving it every so often. Cold weather isn't going to keep me from driving it...it isn't a garage queen at all.
I guess I'd go for the Delvac Extreme then, it's full syn, and only 19.47 at wallyworld and then you can get $9/jug back through the Delvac rebate, and if you haven't already created a rewards account, when you create one, you get 50 points, and if you purchase 4 jugs, you could get 60 points, and be able to get a $10 reward in addition to the $36 in rebates.

I guess I'd go for the Delvac Extreme then, it's full syn, and only 19.47 at wallyworld and then you can get $9/jug back through the Delvac rebate, and if you haven't already created a rewards account, when you create one, you get 50 points, and if you purchase 4 jugs, you could get 60 points, and be able to get a $10 reward in addition to the $36 in rebates.
I have a delvac account already just need to order this oil since my local walmart doesn't carry it.

I had an '89 300SE which is the standard chassis 126 with the six cylinder in line engine. Even though it was an endless money pit that never dimmed my enjoyment of the car. Ran a steady diet of Maxlife 10W-40. Mine was just like this;

OIP.MGi2qUjtpe6IxlVH_2RRUwHaFj

Delvac is a good oil but it doesnt have the ford wss spec. Any oil with that spec usually has at least 1k ppm phosphorous and supertech diesel and t4 has it so why not try that. Delvac aint bad but i wish it had the ford wss spec.

I had an '89 300SE which is the standard chassis 126 with the six cylinder in line engine. Even though it was an endless money pit that never dimmed my enjoyment of the car. Ran a steady diet of Maxlife 10W-40. Mine was just like this;

OIP.MGi2qUjtpe6IxlVH_2RRUwHaFj
Same color combo that mine is. Black over the grey with a black interior. Picked it up two or three years ago for $1400. Interior was just about perfect but mechanically had a ton of deferred maintenance. I've put in about another $2k and it's mechanically perfect now. Drives great.

Delvac is a good oil but it doesnt have the ford wss spec. Any oil with that spec usually has at least 1k ppm phosphorous and supertech diesel and t4 has it so why not try that. Delvac aint bad but i wish it had the ford wss spec.
Interesting to know. Only reason I went with Delvac is because it actually has a gas engine spec with the API SL rating. Probably not terribly important but the dual rating still swayed me.

T6 doesn't carry the Ford spec, I don't believe any full synthetic 15W-40 carries the ford spec, because if you're going to use synthetic I believe ford wants you to use 5w-40 or 0w-40

T6 doesn't carry the Ford spec, I don't believe any full synthetic 15W-40 carries the ford spec, because if you're going to use synthetic I believe ford wants you to use 5w-40 or 0w-40
It only has 800 ppm of P so it will never meet the Ford spec, regardless of winter rating.

Which Delvac are you guys talking about, Delvac 1300 definitely doesn't have more than 800ppm, but Delvac Extreme has 1200ppm but doesn't have the Ford spec either.

Reactions: Y_K
Back