88 buick rivera hotwire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I'm stuck driving my dads 88 buick rivera this week and the ignition lock cylendar locked up today in a LOWES parking lot of all places :(. So in order to avoid heavy towing costs (this would be around a 20 mile tow) what other options do I have other than hotwiring the car or if needed how can I hotwire the car?

Awesome I guess next question should be is where should I start with the cylinder repair? Do I go to a lock shop or what?

The cylinder will come out as a unit and is replaced as such. The new cylinder should come with new keys, of course. Years ago when I replaced one in my Capri I just went to an auto supply store, you could also price one at a dealer, too.

Last edited:
Being able to start it is not enough.
You have to turn the wheel and put it in gear.
A tow to a more local shop where it will be fixed may be best, since you can't fix it yourself.

Most of those GM columns are plastic that splits pretty easy in the middle, a couple 7mm ish bolts on the bottom and you get that half off. Then you'll see the steering lock mechanism. Maybe something's hung up there.

In a catch 22 the locks change out only if the key is in another position, IIRC "acc" or halfway between lock and "on" if ACC is backward toward the driver.

Did you try moving the wheel side to side while trying to turn the key? GM columns of that vintage were notorious for locking up but turning the wheel slightly seemed to get the system out of a bind. no repair, hot wiring, or towing necessary.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Did you try moving the wheel side to side while trying to turn the key? GM columns of that vintage were notorious for locking up but turning the wheel slightly seemed to get the system out of a bind. no repair, hot wiring, or towing necessary.

My Acura does that once in a while too, I remember panicking the first time it happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back