88,700 miles on my S2000 air filter

I put 90k miles on my first air filter and I got 88.7k miles on this one in six years. I change the air filter at six years or when my restriction gauge shows I have a restriction. So far in a little over 12 years and 200k miles the air filter's(two) has yet to show a restriction. That just goes to show how large this filter is for the small size of the engine.
Here is my old post from 2016

Rod

proof that the filter changes in the OEM manual are often way too frequent.
I, too, have a gauge on two of my vehicles; they are both showing filtration lasts way longer than many would expect

No thanks, too long for me, every 12/24 months mine gets swapped, live in a semi dusty area. ;)

What I don’t understand is the time interval. My truck is rarely driven and is at three years old and 16K, and is kept in a garage. Original air and cabin filters. Why would I swap after just a year or two?

We get zero dust from late October to mid March up here in the great white north. My air filters last a long time.

That engine in your first post looks spotless! I could never go that long without replacing the air filter however your conditions in CA are much better than what I have to deal with in SD. I always liked the S2000's.

Here are some pictures of this filter after 88,700 miles
Not as many seeds in this one as the first air filter, and no it doesn't have flowers growing out of it.

Attachments

• 20230124_133656.jpg
    20230124_133656.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230124_133649.jpg
    20230124_133649.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230124_133637.jpg
    20230124_133637.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
We went on drives in the 13 western states and the two western providence's of Canada with the first air filter. We added 30 states and three more providence's of Canada with this air filter. We just won't take our S down south to Mexico, we still have to many things to see here. As you know we take the old hwy's or even national forest roads if they are paved. I like finding the old roads just to see how our grandparents drove across the mountains. Some are hard on our brakes(I've been on roads with 26% grades) and I would hate to try that with a '35 Ford or any car from that era.

We've been on the lowest road and the highest road(paved) in N. America and over a dozen passes over 11k feet. We have had to outrun a Haboob or two down in Southern California and AZ. Our S2000 is our road trip car because its so much fun out there in the open country with nothing to block the view. We have gone coast to coast to coast twice. Once from the middle(Hwy 50) going east and down south coming back west, the next trip we went east about 75 miles south of the Canada border and came back in Canada. Both of these trips were 8+k miles. This last trip really showed us just how BIG the Great Lakes are. The only thing our S2000 doesn't do is snow, any snow. We run sticky summer tires and snow is one thing they don't stick to. LOL We have a Jeep to play in the mud or snow.

Rod

Do you have any recent oil samples we can peek at? Curious on your silicon.
I do not.
I had the used oil tested three times all before the engine had 100k miles. I did this mainly to see the wear numbers. Back then I ran M1 10/40 high mileage but when they changed the formula I went to a frankenstein brew of 4 qts M1 0/40 and 2 qts of M1 0/50 racing oil. I did get one UOA of my frankenstein brew and my wear numbers went down a little. But my wear numbers were low in the first place(even though the S2000 had the highest piston speed of any car at the time). Even at 200k miles I don't burn more than 3/4 qt at 7500 miles and that is when we're in the mountains. The only time I use more oil is when I'm on a track and that doesn't happen very often now.

Rod

I do not.
I had the used oil tested three times all before the engine had 100k miles. I did this mainly to see the wear numbers. Back then I ran M1 10/40 high mileage but when they changed the formula I went to a frankenstein brew of 4 qts M1 0/40 and 2 qts of M1 0/50 racing oil. I did get one UOA of my frankenstein brew and my wear numbers went down a little. But my wear numbers were low in the first place(even though the S2000 had the highest piston speed of any car at the time). Even at 200k miles I don't burn more than 3/4 qt at 7500 miles and that is when we're in the mountains. The only time I use more oil is when I'm on a track and that doesn't happen very often now.

Rod
That's good that you've had a few reports to look at. The S2000 was a neat car of the time and you really seam to enjoy yours. 200k shows this is a strong motor.

I put 90k miles on my first air filter and I got 88.7k miles on this one in six years. I change the air filter at six years or when my restriction gauge shows I have a restriction. So far in a little over 12 years and 200k miles the air filter's(two) has yet to show a restriction. That just goes to show how large this filter is for the small size of the engine.
Here is my old post from 2016

Rod
Mileage means nothing for an air filter. If you drive in a clean environment , they last a very long time.

Back