88-02 or so Chevrolet/GMC 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I'm looking everywhere I can to find a truck to my liking. Here is my list

350 V8
5 speed manual
Regular cab

Those are the must haves

Here are the wants

Manual locks and windows
Dual battery setup
Split seating so I can put a sub behind the passenger seat and it not interfere with my legroom on the driver's side.

I'm indifferent as to having a 2wd or 4X4

When searching (and when finding parts at the auto parts stores) they're technically called C1500's and K1500's.

I had a 1996' C1500 extended cab short bed automatic for 3 years. It also had the Vortec 5.7L (96' was the first year for the Vortec) and I loved that truck to death. I wish I still had it to this day but as a college student- 15 mpg wasn't cutting it. It had tons of power, IMO it had a lot more power than my grandfather's 03' 5.3L. The 5.7L makes it's power at a lot less RPM's. I got 14-15 mpg city and 17-18 mpg highway. It had the 3.73 towing gears. What a fantastic automobile.

You're going to be looking a long time. Few were built in that configuration. They are out there, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have to travel hundreds or thousands of miles to pick it up, and it will probably be a months long search across all states.

I did see a 1996 GMC C1500 Sierra SLT a few weeks ago with the 5.7/5-speed manual combo. Factory leather buckets in blue of all colors. White exterior, extended cab. All original, that's how GM built it, probably for a special order (owner was not the original owner). Not for sale. The owner knew what he had. It was the first one I have seen like that in person, might be the last one.

The vast majority of the manuals built have the 4.3, but of those, most do have manual windows and locks and will be W/T package trucks. The problem is, W/Ts before '99 did not get the split bench. There are plenty of seat swap options for these trucks though.

Unless you are okay with this being a very long, challenging search, you may have to make the truck you want. The good thing is, these are some of the easiest vehicles to swap parts to your liking.

You will likely need to start with a 4.3/manual/W/T for your base truck because that's all you are likely to find somewhat readily available, and even those are rare. You can swap in a 5.7 and use the 4.3 wiring harness and PCM, BUT you will need to add wiring for two injectors on a multiport Vortec truck and have the PCM reprogrammed. I am not sure how much more complicated this would be with a '99-'02 GMT800 going from 4.3 to 5.3, as those were different engine families with the 5.3 having individual coils.

See here:
http://lt1swap.com/v6_to_v8_vortec_conversion.htm

A TBI truck ('88-'95) will be a little easier.

Split seats or buckets from another truck or Tahoe/Suburban will be bolt in.

There's no easy way to get the truck you want. You're not going to find it quickly looking on Craigslist or hitting up used car lots, but it's not impossible and you can always make it the truck you want.

Good luck.

I've searched eBay and craigslists within 500 or so miles. Funny thing is, in June there was a single cab, white paint, tan interior split seats, power windows, 350, 5spd, 4x4' dual battery tray and wire, good shape, 96 model with the vortex, dual exhaust with 189k miles. No cold air and braks were spongy with the light on at the dash. $4000.

I didn't have the money at the time and mourn the loss of at truck from time to time, and believe it or not, it was about a mile away from my house.

Here is one I'm seriously considering, but am worried about the use of salt on I-40 .

[url=Http://Memphis.craigslist.org/cto/4753223053.html][url=Http://Memphis.craigslist.org/cto/4753223053.html]Http://Memphis.craigslist.org/cto/4753223053.html[/url][/url]

I'm sure that truck has seen some salt, but in TN it shouldn't be a rot bag.

I'd be more concerned about what the owner(s) have done to it over the years. It's not bone stock and has been repainted at the least. The small tires up front are a little bit of a red flag...cheap owner?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Your going to have to add the 2nd battery.and iirc 97 was the last yr for the 350

That's no biggie, with a battery and a couple of connectors you're set! Just make sure to know the difference between series and parallel, and wether you'll have 12 or 24 volts..

Looks like the OP should concentrate on finding a manual v8, and doing a couple of tweaks to make it suit him better.
Very rarely do you get to buy exactly the car you want when shopping for used cars.

Your going to have to add the 2nd battery.and iirc 97 was the last yr for the 350

1998 on pickups...the new body style was 1999. I'm not sure, but I THOUGHT the 5-speed was only available with the V6 and 305 in 1500's.

Actually, in '99, they produced both the 'classic', with the 350, and the new body style, with the 5.3.

I also don't think I've seen a 350 with a manual tranny.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Thought the 1999 "Classic" was only the 2500 and 3500?

Only the 3500 was the old body style.

The 2500 had the only mass produced Iron head 6.0 (LS based) and was the new body style in 1999.

In 01 the 3500HD went to my body style. You could get a 6.0, 8.1 or Duramax that year.

The 2500 Became the 1500HD in later years.

You can get a 2500 or 3500 gasser 350 or 454 with the NV4500.
Not sure about the 1/2 ton.

The 6.0 (364) which is by far a better engine than the 350(Dry intake, more power and torque), could be had a with 5 speed manual. I do believe it used the NV4500 as well. You can get a 5 speed in a 1/2 ton. Good luck finding either.

6.0 debuted in the trucks in 1999.

My truck is an 02 so it has some updates along with Aluminum heads and full floating rear axle. A no options but A/C truck. You can get them in 5 speed.

The 2500/1500HD has a half ton frame with a semi-floating rear axle, the rest it 3/4 ton stuff. 6.0/4L80E, eight lug rims and 3/4 ton brakes.

In 99 the 5.3 was standard fair for the 1/2 ton truck. (something like a 323) Is just as good if not better than the old 350 and they are both very easy to work on.

The old Vortec 350 and 454 were used up until 00 in the 3500.

The vans used them a bit longer not sure how much though.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Hey all, I'm looking everywhere I can to find a truck to my liking. Here is my list

350 V8
5 speed manual
Regular cab

Those are the must haves

Here are the wants

Manual locks and windows
Dual battery setup
Split seating so I can put a sub behind the passenger seat and it not interfere with my legroom on the driver's side.

I'm indifferent as to having a 2wd or 4X4

Why dual battery? Do you run a lot of accessories? I have been towing almost exclusively with my 2500HD for the past 5 years,
I have a C/B extra gauges, three power outlets and tow 35 feet of trailer while charging all the batteries. I have never needed more than one battery.

No. The 5.7 was used in the gmc line for a couple of years after the introduction of the 5.3.
I have a 99 with a 5.3 and an 01 sierra C3 with a 6.0.
The 5.3 is a better engine as compared to the 5.7l. I don't know off hand exact power output however I had a 95 chev 2500 with just 2wd and I was driving both til i donated the 95 and there is no question the 5.3 has better tip in power and much better revability stock.
Sure they are close but in all round drivability the 5.3 was better.
Just off the top of my head the vortex 5.7 had 240hp or 250hp stock and around 300tq.
The 5.3 had 260hp stock and 300+ tq.
I think the 98 and older trucks weighed less than their 99 and newer brethren which would explain that it "felt" more powerful.
My C3 had 325hp/375tq stock. My 04 ram Hemi quad cab had 340hp/390tq stock.
My brother has an 08 with identical power levels. We decided to do a comparo,including a drag race between both trucks.
Though my c3 is older and rated with less hp/tq I beat him by a full truck running a standing mile from a dig.
And jumping from one to the other the c3 has more bottom end tq.
The hemi definitely has more mid-range and top end though. At half a mile roughly I had 3 or so truck lengths on his hemi but my lead was dwindling. By the time we hit the mile marker he was gaining fast in my mirror.
So I don't know if it's gearing or what but both him and I agree that my c3 has more pop off the line but once that hemi hits 3000 rpm that engine is just starting to get into its own.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Thought the 1999 "Classic" was only the 2500 and 3500?

1500 too, but a very, very small run. It may have been in the hundreds, at the most low thousands. They were not fleet trucks, at least not all. I have seen a 1999 GMT400 K1500 Chevy with extended cab, LT trim, and Z71 package.

The 350 could be ordered with the manual in 1500s, but it may have been special order only.

Bill in Utah here had a '99 Silverado 1500 ext cab Z71 in LS or LT trim with the 5.3 and manual! Talk about rare. If I remember right, he special ordered it that way.

The tires the owner said were from a car he had sitting around.

I want two batteries for my US-200 and US-50 amps I plan on running. In an Aspire I once had, I installed a second battery and the starter sure did turn over fast.

So, does anyone know what states use salt on the roads. Here in Mississippi, I can remember one instance of them salting the roads, back in 2011 I think it was. I've been searching Fl, Tn, Ga, La, Tx, Al and Ar as well as my home state.

Tanks for all the information.

Ok, I've found two trucks I'm really interested in. I prefer the 2003 2500 6.0 to the 1992 c1500 350, but which one will be more enjoyable to maintain?

I started out focusing on a C1500 then came across a silverado 2500 that was the way I wanted, minus the dual battery setup. Tires are probably twice as much for the 2500 but I don't really plan on towing or hauling that much and will probably put low miles on it, say, 5k a year.

The 2500 is 11yrs newer, is all original and has 40k more miles on the odo. The C1500 has a lot of new parts, is the classic style I prefer, but what it really comes down to is which one will make me be less likely to swear when I'm working on it.

Both of those trucks are a piece of cake to take care of compared to most anything else. The biggest maintenance hassle is that you will have to buy an extra quart of oil for the 6.0. I would get a good metal band type oil filter wrench too because IME, that's the best way to get a tight filter off of an LS engine (not much room next to the oil pan).

The 1992 might be marginally easier to work on, but will probably need more frequent attention as well. Age takes a toll and materials just weren't as good in 1992.

The '03 interior is more functional and comfortable IMO, but I do have a soft spot for the velour and half carpeted door panels on higher trim level '88-'94 interiors. I hate the radio setup, but I doubt the 1992 has the original radio anyway. If base model, I'd rather have the '03 for sure.

GMT400s seem more prone to saggy doors, broken door handles, blown body mounts, and things just not lining up quite right, but the GMT800 has its share of plastic bits and pieces that like to break. The tailgate handle rod clips are always a hot seller.

The '03 will have better OE parts availability. While a lot of '88-'98 C/K (GMT400) parts are still available new from GM, they have started discontinuing many things as well, and of course it will be the obscure stupid thing that broke while working on some other component. Things like the clip for the brake pedal pivot will be in stock for eternity though. Most common things that break on a GMT800 are in stock or not very far away at any GM dealer. LMC, NPD, etc. usually step in pretty quick with GM and Ford trucks and do have catalogs for the GMT400, but their parts are often foreign made and they aren't cheap. You pay OEM prices for a Tong Yang part.

I too prefer the overall style of the GMT400...they are simply great looking trucks. From a practical standpoint though, the GMT800 will be better in nearly every way. It sounds like this won't really be a daily driver though, so if the 1992 is clean and you love it, go for it. I doubt either will be a bad truck unless someone is unloading their problem child/botched project.

That means the passenger has to suffer with reduced leg room.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

That means the passenger has to suffer with reduced leg room.
33.gif

Gotta have that bump....
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back