'87 Integra timing belt question

Hey guys, looking at a very well-preserved '87 Integra, and got word from the owner that the timing belt was changed on 4/13/2006 at 107,314 miles. It now has about 128,400 miles on it. Would you drive it?

Yes, you can drive it, but just plan on changing the timing belt soon. It's not an emergency, but the job is still worth doing. You don't have to replace it now. You can wait until it gets cooler outside to replace the TB, but you can always order the parts now.

You can always factor that in when negotiating the price.

Reactions: JC1
We used to own an ‘87 Integra 5-speed. Back in the days when I was “yuteful” and folks actually knew how to drive a stick.

I believe I ‘d really be more concerned about what else could be wrong with this fun to drive ride since it has averaged less than 800 miles PER YEAR since the timing belt was changed.

At least the owner did the timing belt change, but did they change the water pump, pre-tensioner, idler pulley, etc.?

And the owner has the actual maintenance receipts for this and other work?

I don't know about this particular engine however, many of the older Honda/Acura engines have easily removable timing belt covers. If this engine does, you can check the condition and judge from there.

Thanks, guys. The guy is asking a LOT for the car ($7,900) because he's somehow convinced himself that it deserves to sit next to the '89 RS that recently sold on Bring a Trailer. I keep reading that 7 years on a timing belt is about the time you should start looking at replacing it, regardless of mileage. 14 years would be a lot if you go by that rule. Anyway, I did some math with a new timing belt, and shipping the car to Texas, and found myself $10,000 into a 100,000+ mile '87 Integra, and that math doesn't fly for any sane person. I e-mailed him a polite decline, and have moved on. Thanks for the replies! In case you're curious:

Yes you can drive it I have never changed a timing belt due to age on my own vehicles and haven’t had a problem with them. I am a mechanic and have done some because someone has wanted them done but I always just wait till mine breaks to do it usually I can tell when it is getting ready to happen.

Yes you can drive it I have never changed a timing belt due to age on my own vehicles and haven’t had a problem with them. I am a mechanic and have done some because someone has wanted them done but I always just wait till mine breaks to do it usually I can tell when it is getting ready to happen.

Waiting until a timing belt breaks to replace it is genuinely terrible advice.

On many engines, interference engines, a belt breaking cost several thousand to fix.

This car has an interference engine. Waiting until the belt breaks means pistons hit valves, and if the owner is lucky, it’s just a head rebuild.

“Change it soon” is what a professional mechanic would say.

Waiting until a timing belt breaks to replace it is genuinely terrible advice.

On many engines, interference engines, a belt breaking cost several thousand to fix.

This car has an interference engine. Waiting until the belt breaks means pistons hit valves, and if the owner is lucky, it’s just a head rebuild.

“Change it soon” is what a professional mechanic would say.
All of my personal vehicles are non interference. I was never taught really when to change the timing belt or chain so I don’t usually give a recommended interval. We have done a few at the dealership over the two years I have worked there I’m not sure which cars have the interference engines and which don’t I’m still learning that stuff.

On those cars its not hard to change them yourself. But wow that seller is crazy. Interesting there are only 3 pictures none under the hood.

On those cars its not hard to change them yourself. But wow that seller is crazy. Interesting there are only 3 pictures none under the hood.
He emailed me more pictures, including the engine, which was filthy. He's got an awakening coming to him because it's got scuffs on the bumper, etc, unlike the RS which he's citing sold for so much money at Bring a Trailer. Oh well, not my circus.

It's a nice car. People think that cars are worth more than the market will pay. If he had a Corolla AE86 or a Nissan 240 like that, then he could command more coin.

My 97 Civic owned since new. I changed the timing belt the first time back in 2010. Original belt looked good at the time. It's my wife's daily driver. On these cars it's easy enough to remove the top cover and take a quick look at the belt.

Honest question, can you really tell by looking at a belt if it's aged out versus worn out?
You can see if it's cracking and fraying. I changed the sienna's timing belt on the same week with 197,xxx kms on it (122k miles). letters were completely worn off that belt but no frays etc. Belt was 12 years old.

Some times the issue is the bearing on the water pump fails or the tensioner. Some people go well over the time and mileage and chance it.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. The guy is asking a LOT for the car ($7,900) because he's somehow convinced himself that it deserves to sit next to the '89 RS that recently sold on Bring a Trailer. I keep reading that 7 years on a timing belt is about the time you should start looking at replacing it, regardless of mileage. 14 years would be a lot if you go by that rule. Anyway, I did some math with a new timing belt, and shipping the car to Texas, and found myself $10,000 into a 100,000+ mile '87 Integra, and that math doesn't fly for any sane person. I e-mailed him a polite decline, and have moved on. Thanks for the replies! In case you're curious:

I don't think I would pay that much for a B-series Honda engine, if that is what it has.

I tried to trade in my 86 Accord for a new 87 Integra but couldn't make a deal. Who new it would turn into a desirable car all these years later.

I'm wary of cars like this where the owner goes to a lot of expense or time to repair or replace something and then hardly drives it after.

His wife apparently used it as an errand car. He referred to it as her "island car". They live in some kind of isolated community where everything is a mile away, so the car has spent its life making short trips. My opinion is that if you truly care about vehicle maintenance, you don't let the timing belt go 19 years and 107,000 miles before you change it. It's only accumulated an additional 21,000 miles in the last 14 years since the belt was changed. IMO, if it's your intention to re-sell a car at Concours level 36 years later, you don't let the below happen to it. This is the car he's using as a comp. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-acura-integra/

Tegra1.jpg

Back