87 FJ1200 Oil capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so i recently bought this bike and changed the oil right after i got it.

nowi had ridden it around for a few days when all of sudden on a long ride it was pushing oil out (unknown where from) and it was going out both sides streaking back onto the exhaust

now i'm thinking that i must have put too much oil in it, i had looked it up on the internet forums and such and found several different charts saying the same thing which was 4.2 liters which equals roughly 4.4 quarts

so i put in about 4 1/4 quarts

i just recently found that there is a sight glass on the crankcase (doh!) and 2 lines
one around the middle and the other line towards the top.

does this mean that the oil should be roughly in between the 2 lines?

what would happen if too much oil was put in? if there a vent/overflow that the oil is coming out of?

the good news is that the bike seems to fun fine, even after the oil incident i haven't had a chance to clean it up yet but it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore oil, or at least not as noticeable

thanks for the help

Forget the capacity and go by the window, check it with the bike on the center stand or held level(if no stand). Check it after its sits about 5-10 minutes after running it, some bikes will grow oil and some will eat it after sitting for a long time, that's why I mention 5 minutes. Between the lines.

If you need to take some out you can use those plastic hyperdermic looking things with a short hose on it. Most pharmacys will give em out free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back