86 Toyota has been sitting for over two years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 86 Toyota 22re that has been sitting for a little over two years. It has been outside and has the same engine oil in it now that it had when it was parked. My question is, do I need to do anything other then a standard oil change using a quality oil? The truck has a little over 200k on it. It will be used for cruising around town and taking into the mountains. It is on 37" tires. Thanks for the help!

How many miles on the oil? Unless it looks like mud, it's fine IMO. I don't change oil based on time. Change it when you need to, especially on a 20+ year old beater.

How full was gas tank? If not full, use "dry gas" or some type of water dryer in fuel tank. I am assuming that it gets cold enough there for condensation in gas tank.

If near empty, you may want to add new gas. Old gas could be a problem.

Last edited:
Change your oil and filter.
Check your air filter.
Smell the gas in the tank, if it smells bad you should drain.
Float charge your battery and load test.

The gas was very low. I put in fresh gas a couple of days ago and it purrs like a kitten. I am going to change the oil, two years does not seem right to me. I was just wondering if there are any special considerations I should address since it has been sitting so long. Thanks.

The gas is of far more concern than the oil.

If you can crank it and run it, add a PEA cleaner like Regane or Techron then top off with a high octane "top teir" fuel like Conaco, Chevron, Shell, or Texaco. After that tank runs out, repeat the Regane or Techron once more.

The oil in my trail Jeep has been in for 2.5 years. I have a snow run tomorrow and will be loading it on the trailer in a couple of hours.

The oil in my Willys has been in for close to 5 years.

Just change the oil and give it a good once over. Running a fuel cleaner would be a good idea.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
The gas is of far more concern than the oil.

If you can crank it and run it, add a PEA cleaner like Regane or Techron then top off with a high octane "top teir" fuel like Conaco, Chevron, Shell, or Texaco. After that tank runs out, repeat the Regane or Techron once more.

+1 - gas is the main issue.

Best is to pump the tank empty and fill with fresh gas. The current gas has probably lost some octane, absorbed some water and has started to turn to varnish.

Blue Stabil is one of the best cleaners for this type of situation.

Originally Posted By: Trigger
The gas was very low. I put in fresh gas a couple of days ago and it purrs like a kitten.

then you're good to go!

Not sure how rusty it is, but I would look over the brakes, incl. brake fluid, closely if it was me, along with tire condition. Stopping is even more important than going!

check air filter and investigate intake before air filter for mice/rodents. Change fuel filter. Make sure brakes are all functioning and havent rusted or seized.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
How full was gas tank? If not full, use "dry gas" or some type of water dryer in fuel tank. I am assuming that it gets cold enough there for condensation in gas tank.

If near empty, you may want to add new gas. Old gas could be a problem.

Fuel has 10% ethanol. No need ever anymore for dry gas. Unless they quit making ethanol.

Sorry I did not get right back to you guy. A couple things came up over the weekend that I had to deal with. Thanks for all the advise. O'Reilly's had two for one Techron on sale, so I bought two of them today to put into the truck. I would be happy to post a couple pictures of the truck, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back