$85k new electric vehicle bricks in the snow!

You can't make this type of failure up. Watching these people with more money than brains is hilarious. It's truly no wonder why 1 out of 5 EV buyers go back to ICE after a myriad of major headaches and disappointing performance and other "back to reality" moments.

From the files of overpromising and underdelivering, the EV + nanny-state technology is defeated by a couple INCHES feet of snow.

Note my ICE pickup will move thru 2.5 feet of snow like it's barely there. Done so, many times. Snow, mud, you name it. Never been stuck. And when new it cost 1/2 the price of this Rivian, adjusted for inflation.

Edited: The article claims 2.5 feet of snow. The pictures in post #2, show about 8 inches of snow.

Chase Merrill ... was unsure about making the switch from his 2015 Ford Edge to a fully electric SUV, especially since he lives in a relatively remote area in the Adirondack Mountains in New York.... Got behind the wheel of the $85,626 car, .... "I was in a honeymoon phase," Merrill said in an interview with Insider. "It's an incredible car, and it handles unlike anything I've ever driven."
The honeymoon didn't last long. Two days later, Merrill drove his R1S to his family's shared property in the mountains. He wanted to put his rugged electric SUV to the test, so he drove it on the unplowed, snow-covered road into the property.
At first, the R1S sliced through the snow. Then, a large snowdrift stymied the car, he said. "I hit about 2 ½-feet of snow and it just stopped right there," Merrill said. "I had seen all the Rivian marketing campaigns with the cars just eating through the snow so it was kind of like, man this is disappointing."

Merrill said he's dislodged cars from snow banks before, and enlisted another vehicle to help pull him out. While he was sitting in the driver's seat, unbuckled, rocking the R1S out of the snow bank, he said he accidentally triggered a safety feature that got the car stuck between the park and drive gears. His Rivian was bricked, rendering it completely useless.

The brand new Rivian ultimately had to be loaded onto a flatbed and driven to a service center in Chelsea, Massachusetts, hundreds of miles away. The towing fee was $2,100.

The ordeal now has Merrill considering trading the R1S for a Toyota Tacoma or a similar gas-powered pickup truck, he said.

In an interview with Insider, Rivian executives said the car did exactly what it was programmed to do in a dangerous slide-away situation. But in this case, it wasn't sliding away.

Merrill isn't the first early Rivian fan to start souring on the company. Rivian has had trouble keeping some of its order-holders happy as it navigates the early days of full production for its three electric vehicles.

Last edited:
And for the record this is NOT 2 feet of snow. Closer to 8 inches.

641dc7b8b7834100191b1d11
641dc80223738f0018bafc25

Tell us how you really feel about EVs, it's not obvious. I talked with a Rivian owner last summer at Home Depot, it was obvious he was using it as a truck, all muddy and dirty, and he was really happy with it.
He may be in the minority.

Rivian stock is down from $57 to $14 in 1 year, that's a whopping 75% crash. I interpret that as a floundering company unable to produce, deliver good products to justify the costs, and with deep systemic problems.

Also, from the article.
"Insider has interviewed dozens of current and former Rivian order holders in recent months, some of whom say they're losing hope that their vehicles will ever arrive. ...

After narrowly missing its self-imposed production goal in 2022, Rivian has provided a lower production goal for 2023 than analysts predicted. The company has also stopped sharing updates on its sizable stable of orders — once a bragging right.

The long waits are leaving some early boosters of the company feeling burned. For a young company like Rivian, these early fans can make or break its reputation, shareholders, analysts, and Rivian investors have told Insider.

Rivian is working to improve relationships with its order-holders, said Tony Caravano, Rivian's head of customer engagement.

But this isn't the 1st new vehicle that broke down.
You are right, it's not. But I do think it's particularly funny, and deceptive.

"I got stuck in a mountain of snow!!!" Tow driver looks around, and it's a dusting of snow.

You've got a $10k used Tundra. With proper snow tires, would you get stuck in the snow pictured in your Tundra?

"It's truly no wonder why 1 out of 5 EV buyers go back to ICE"

... and 4 out of 5 stick with another EV.

Thanks very much for sharing your sample size of one. I will give it the consideration it deserves.
This is an example of data without analysis, a lack of knowledge, or intensionally mis-using a stat for one's agenda. The #1 reason by far owners return to ICE is lack of charging capability; they loved the car but it was clearly the wrong car for their use case. Living in apartments, etc. Prospective buyers ask me about the car; the 1st thing I ask them is, "How ya gonna charge?"

Here's a statistic, "5 outta 5 EV buyers bought an EV over an ICE." And unless the EV was their 1st car, they left ICE for electric.
Here's another: The expensive high margin Model Y will likely be the #1 selling vehicle in the world this year, overtaking the cheap low margin Corolla. The Model Y is already the #1 vehicle in the world by revenue.

Statistics are funny things. People often use them to make points, when in truth they could show the exact opposite.

Last edited:
You've got a $10k used Tundra. With proper snow tires, would you get stuck in the snow pictured in your Tundra?
In that snow? a solid “maybe”. Packing snow can stop everything, while 2’ of powder wouldn’t stop something with bald all seasons. Edit: once high ended, all bets are off.

Although unrelated, our Gulfstream G600‘s electrical system just “bricked” yesterday. Holy mother of god, it has been a battle!

The system is exceedingly complex and so far 4 computers are being replaced.

Not sure of the cause, but worked fine in flight, with just a blue (advisory) fault message. But once on the ground, went into the Lucas-electric mode of unrecoverable total failure

it should come as no surprise the controlling computers are from England 😂

Here's a statistic, "5 outta 5 EV buyers bought an EV over an ICE."
This is an example of data without analysis, a lack of knowledge, or intensionally mis-using a stat for one's agenda.
Or, more like, 97% of Americans do NOT buy EVs.
Or, only 1 EV was in the top 10 for models sold last year. The other 9 were ICE.
Here's another: The expensive high margin Model Y will likely be the #1 selling vehicle in the world this year,
Possible, but unlikely. But a fair comparison would be all ICE full sized pickups vs. the Model Y, b/c pickups are a class in a crowded pickup market, whereas the Model Y is alone it its class.

Back