$85k new electric vehicle bricks in the snow!

All there likely due to operator error, not any issue with/because the vehicle.
Yes indeed. Here's an example of an idiot getting his new
4X4 stuck in just a few inches of mud:
1679869691920.jpeg

Yes indeed. Here's an example of an idiot getting his new
4X4 stuck in just a few inches of mud:
View attachment 146979
1. Looks like bald street tires and a 2WD.
2. No way that dude is really stuck in 4" of mud. I see no evidence of any mud spun up. If he'd been spinning wheels you'd see the entire sides and back of it covered in mud.
3. All he'd need to do is put a few sticks under the drive wheels and go.
4. Once he gets out of that alleged spot, his vehicle is not disabled required to be flatbed towed 300 to fix it. LOL

All there likely due to operator error, not any issue with/because the vehicle.
And probably operators that were unaware of the necessity of good winter tires and over driving the capability of the tires that they had on the vehicle at the time. People think because it's got four wheel drive or all-wheel drive that it can do anything in the winter regardless of the garbage tires they have on the vehicle.

Leadcounsel is just a salty bag of bones anyway. Not surprised by this thread.

My bad, not 8" but 15" of snow. LOL. I can observe that the small statured person standing next to it, apparently a female wearing tall boots. From the center to the top half of the presumably 20" metal wheel, plus a few inches of tire would be about 15". Not 2.5' (30") of snow. They're standing on about 1 foot of snowpack. 8", 15" 24" irrelevant, my ICE truck would go thru that without any real effort. More importantly it's not even touching the undercarriage to the extent of stopping it. And best of all, the thing died and stranded them requiring not just being pulled out, but flatbedded for $2100 hundreds of miles to be fixed. Once again, the nanny-state tech stranded them.

But people just insist on these overpriced, totally unreliable, extremely complex machines for status.

Not if you fell down into it. I think that's the point they're trying to make to you. To that point though, Rivian has had its issues and I wouldn't spend my money on one. I'm still debating my next car. I really want to go Audi RS3 but they're hard to come by now and the scarcity is making for stupid prices even for low miles used examples. The reasonable choice is a Performance model Tesla for the price, but I'll likely stick with my GTI for now. The one thing I'll say negative of Tesla is their stupid updates which most praise them for. I hate how the UI feels like it randomly changes and this new TeslaVision park assist is annoying and I can't shut it off.

1. Looks like bald street tires and a 2WD.
2. No way that dude is really stuck in 4" of mud. I see no evidence of any mud spun up. If he'd been spinning wheels you'd see the entire sides and back of it covered in mud.
3. All he'd need to do is put a few sticks under the drive wheels and go.
4. Once he gets out of that alleged spot, his vehicle is not disabled required to be flatbed towed 300 to fix it. LOL
That's me, and my truck. It was a new 4X4 Ramcharger with brand new street tires, not bald as you surmise. The vehicle still has the dealer's paper plates, that's how new it was. You weren't there, you don't know what transpired.

I had to walk about half a mile to someone's mountain cabin in order to use their phone to call a tow truck to get me out of that spot. No cell phones in those days (1976).

4X4 Ramcharger with brand new street tires, not bald as you surmise.
I was incorrect about 2WD, but nowhere on the badging does it say 4x4. Street tires, same thing effectively. Unfit for mudding.

You weren't there, you don't know what transpired.
Correct. This exposition might have been helpful to clear up confusion.

I had to walk about half a mile to someone's mountain cabin in order to use their phone to call a tow truck to get me out of that spot.
Looks to me some sticks under the drive wheels would have gotten you to that dirt road 20 feet behind you. And if you had 3 people, like the Rivian driver, a push out of the jam and you'd be back in business. Nevertheless, I'm guessing your Ram was not inoperable requiring towing 300 miles to get fixed. Then again for this staged photo, who was the cameraman? Could the Ram not be easily rocked out back 10 feet? It's hard to believe 3" of mud and you're stuck...

I can't imagine an Ev truck would have any endurance plowing.
was watching an F350 PSD clear our parking lot (Canada) and that crossed my mind …
He’s got to hit lot after lot as the city keeps working the roads …

Last edited:
I was incorrect about 2WD, but nowhere on the badging does it say 4x4. Street tires, same thing effectively. Unfit for mudding.

Correct. This exposition might have been helpful to clear up confusion.

Looks to me some sticks under the drive wheels would have gotten you to that dirt road 20 feet behind you. And if you had 3 people, like the Rivian driver, a push out of the jam and you'd be back in business. Nevertheless, I'm guessing your Ram was not inoperable requiring towing 300 miles to get fixed. Then again for this staged photo, who was the cameraman? Could the Ram not be easily rocked out back 10 feet? It's hard to believe 3" of dry mud and you're stuck...
This picture and some of the details have been posted here before.

I'm going to say this for the last time: you weren't there, you don't know what we did. I did say I was an idiot.

I suggest viewing "Long Way Up" on Apple TV. A electric motorcycle trip from the tip of South America to Los Angeles. Stars the Star War guy who plays Obi Wan. Sign up for a month and binge watch the series. The two support vehicles were Rivians. They were remarkable in their reliability-and those were VERY EARLY prototypes.

Then get back to me.

That's me, and my truck. It was a new 4X4 Ramcharger with brand new street tires, not bald as you surmise. The vehicle still has the dealer's paper plates, that's how new it was. You weren't there, you don't know what transpired.

I had to walk about half a mile to someone's mountain cabin in order to use their phone to call a tow truck to get me out of that spot. No cell phones in those days (1976).
Full time “4WD” in that era - ?
Even in LoLoc you only had open differentials front and rear …

I suggest viewing "Long Way Up" on Apple TV. A electric motorcycle trip from the tip of South America to Los Angeles. Stars the Star War guy who plays Obi Wan. Sign up for a month and binge watch the series. The two support vehicles were Rivians. They were remarkable in their reliability-and those were VERY EARLY prototypes.

Then get back to me.
Gotcha.
So a multi-millionaire Hollywood movie star, using predicably product placement $100,000 Rivian EVs, filming a adventure that has probably hundreds of hours of video editing, had nothing but success with his Rivians. Color me shocked. Shocked I tell ya...

Not a marketing trick, at all. I'll say it's just a good thing no dusting of snow was encountered!

(Just ignore the stock is down 75% in one year.)

Gotcha.
So a multi-millionaire Hollywood movie star, using predicably product placement $100,000 Rivian EVs, filming a adventure that has probably hundreds of hours of video editing, had nothing but success with his Rivians. Color me shocked. Shocked I tell ya...

Not a marketing trick, at all. I'll say it's just a good thing no dusting of snow was encountered!

(Just ignore the stock is down 75% in one year.)
They encountered conditions no owner will ever encounter. BTW-they did have issues-but were minor. Many Rivans in my neighborhood. Owners seem to be happy.

was watching an F350 PSD clear our parking lot (Canada) and that crossed my mind …
He’s got to hit lot after lot as the city keeps working the roads …
our flatbed 2500 was working 18hours a day for a week straight between 2 guys.

IMG_3687.jpeg

Reactions: 4WD
They encountered conditions no owner will ever encounter.
If you mean owned by multi-millionaires and overly photographed for advertising purposes in staged environments, I agree. And any gas truck could easily accomplish these feats. Rivian needs a 40 year old truck doing hard labor to impress me at all.

Have you watched the promotional video? It's almost entirely paved roads or dirt roads, and a few sandy beachs and a few inches of sand. LOL. I wasn't born yesterday. Rivian isn't going to show their trucks broken down or out of juice in their campaign ads. There's so much money involved in this stuff and it's universally deceptive advertising.

I posted this story as a "real world" experience from 1 user. A sample size of 1, admittedly, but it is a real world use data point.

Here's what's impressive. The 30-40 year old Toyota pickups in the harsh middle east dusty climates, or in S. African safaris or S. American jungles going along on incredibly harsh environments with minimal maintenance.

How about this indestructible Toyota Hilux featured in Top Gear. They abused the heck out this 30 year old truck to include burying it in the beach sand at low tide and retrieving it later. Then hit it with a wrecking ball, dropped it from a height, and burned it. It still worked! Now that is a quality truck!

How about this indestructible Toyota Hilux featured in Top Gear. They abused the heck out this 30 year old truck to include burying it in the beach sand at low tide and retrieving it later. Then hit it with a wrecking ball, dropped it from a height, and burned it. It still worked! Now that is a quality truck!
As one of the resident Toyota fanboys I'll be first to point out that, while fun to watch, this was total entertainment.

Those of us in the rustbelt would have something different to say about their frame quality (more like, lack thereof).

Back