80's TNT 100 Eating Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This engine has had a long life and some top offs and changes in its history. Its on a Toro and I've looked up info on it and its "TNT" or "Toro N' Tecumseh" motor. The label on the engine itself tells me to use 10w-30....

I however neglected changing the oil in it for 3-4 years and changed it this year (beginning of the seasion) using just a cheap bottle of SAE 30 branded by Tecumseh for summer use, was next to the 5w-30 Winter blend (see my post here on that stuff: http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ue#Post483538). When I made this decision I didn't even notice that the mower engine itself did indeed request 10w-30.

My question is, should I continue to stick with the SAE 30 that it seems to be eating during use or should I fill it next time with a 10w-30? From my understanding SAE 30 should slow consumption...or do I have that backwards.

Any tips on slowing consumption? Its not alot really, from the full line to just about the add the line each time, and I guess constantly adding new oil each use could only help it in the long run.

Any info would be of use, thanks
smile.gif

Theres no problem in using straight 30......, they just recommend 10w-30 for cold flow reasons.... Its still a 30 weight.
Yes 30 weight should slow it, not make it worse... I'd go ahead and change it back to 10w-30 and see how it does.
And no, always change the oil, tiny bit at a time will not replenish the oil, as for helping with consumption, if going back to 10w-30 does nothing, try a 15w-40.

If it's going through straight 30, switching to 10W30 will likely be worse. I think I'd be looking at the reasons for the oil consumption. First thing I'd check is engine compression. You might need new rings and a hone job. You can try the heavier oil but, considering it's an old engine with lots of use, I have doubts that it will stop oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back