8 years of UOA data +

Status
Not open for further replies.
sgtgeek,

I saw that amsoil run and the mobil 0W30 run. However, since both of those runs have the lowest silicon, I think that we are confounding oil with contamination.

I recall seeing the part by alloy data somewhere else, but I don't recall where it is from. I think that intro data for linked page is worth posting here but with the addition of references. I imagine there is a textbook somewhere that could be referenced. Terry, do you have similar info that you would share/post? Maybe if we can keep the info generic (not engine specific) it could be useful and yet not competitive.

good information nonetheless, I find it strange that he still has so much variation in wear metals from sample to sample even after all of those miles. You would think things would be a lot more stable between samples using the same oil on an older engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
...I find it strange that he still has so much variation in wear metals from sample to sample even after all of those miles...

Might be a good indication that one has to be careful when relying on UOAs to compare oils.

427a06, I agree completely, but would extend your comment to all forms of data. Most people seem to forget that there are errors associated with every measurment and that nearly everything that we would measure has variabilty. Blood pressure, cholesterol, wear metals, risk, nutritional info, ect...

It sure would be nice if every measurment was presented as a confidence interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back