8 years from a 6 year AC-Delco battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got 8 years each out the factory Delco in my Formula,and the Oreilly Super Start that replaced it. I had another Super Start that only lasted a month or two in my truck though.

I hope the last battery I bought lasts a long time! A good battery can really hit you in the pocket book these days.

Our 2002 Suburban got 2 or 3 years, my 2007 Malibu got 4 years, our 2002 Tahoe got 2 years before puking acid out... Maybe it's the heat down here...

Last edited:
The maintenance free Delco in my sunfire is at least 5 years old(cant recall the build date) has been frozen solid in -20*f weather once, and just recently was left sitting unhooked under the hood for 3 weeks. Put the car back into service and it cranked like I put it away yesterday.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience with the AC Delco battery in one of my cars. Was about 7-8 years old before it gave up in the cold winter. It took a lot of abuse over the years.

Golly, I wish I was where yall live! The Florida heat kills batteries in my truck, the MC OEM one lasted 4 years, Everstart Plus lasted 1.5, this one is at 0.5 yrs.

I had a battery last for 11 years in a Tercel...with a good charging system a battery can last a long time...

My Pontiac Montana 2003 still has the original AC Delco battery. However, it's getting weaker so I am thinking of a replacement. Where is a good place to buy a good battery (AC Delco)? GM dealers are expensive. Advance auto sell cheap batteries, but are they any good? Any advice is appreciated.

While not an AC Delco battery, my mom called me on Monday saying that the battery in her car just died. I bought that Chrysler in the fall of 2001 and the car was lot stock so I figure it may have had a few months of life before I bought it. 11.5 years is the best I have done on a battery exceeding the 10 years I got out of my AC delco on my vintage camaro.

I firmly believe it is heat in addition allowing them to be run down that kills car batteries.

The battery in my Ion was eight years old and still functioning perfectly when I replaced it. I figured I should go ahead and do it before it died on me at a bad time.

I don't know what the factory battery was in a 99 VW, but I got 10-11 years out of it and it finally died because I didn't pay attention to the water level in it.

The Die-Hard battery in my car just quit yesterday. I checked the records, and it is exactly 10 years old.

The original Motorcraft battery is my 2001 Sable is still in service (12 years).

The no-name battery in my 71 Cutlass is 9 years old.

Got about 10 years and 100K miles on the MB Factory Replacement (probably was a DEKA?) that was almost new in the '91 420SEL when we bought it.

Interestingly it showed as "normal" on the battery test equipment (under load) but would not retain a high enough voltage to power up the computer when left for a week or so.

There was no parasitic drain to speak of that I could diagnose and a Battery Tender would only run for a half hour, or so, before the light would turn green.

After two jumpstart situations I just bought a new Group 49 with a 7 Year (3 year free replacement) Warranty for less than $100.

Originally Posted By: ron917
The factory Delco battery in my 2003 Pontiac Montana is still going strong. Build date on the van is June,2003. We bought it with 3 miles on the clock, it has 128k miles now.

Still going! The Delco battery reached 10 years in service (136k miles) on July 5, 2013.

The only time I had to replace a battery it was because the car sat and wasn't driven daily,otherwise I've never had to buy a battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back