8 Month old group 24 700 CCA Costco battery drained, reads 4.66 volts, is it toast?

So why would they replace it during the warranty period if it tests good?
Costco does not test the battery; they trust their customers. Costco moves a lotta product; that's their game.
If someone wanted to swap out their battery just before warranty expired, they could.
Are there people who feel justified in doing so? Sure there are. You and I pay for them.

That fee is where Costco makes most of their profit- Four Billon last year. Easy money
I understand the gas, tires, roasted chicken and others may even be loss leaders. I use my Costco Visa for everything; I get back about $1,000 every year. Pretty fair shake.
By the way, the Interstate batteries are usually $109 plus the governor's tax. Along with the stellar warranty, that's pretty hard to beat.

My Costco takes returns, free replacement within 3 years, they don't do testing

Knowing that I have a short somewhere in my Scion, last time I used it I forgot to disconnect the battery, for a month. I'll get around to it when more important projects / work is finished as the Scion is more of a backup / project car.

I think with such a low voltage the battery is damaged internally at this point and not salvageable, replace?
Warranty.

I understand the gas, tires, roasted chicken and others may even be loss leaders. I use my Costco Visa for everything; I get back about $1,000 every year. Pretty fair shake.
By the way, the Interstate batteries are usually $109 plus the governor's tax. Along with the stellar warranty, that's pretty hard to beat.

If you have the Executive membership they give you 2% back in addition to all the credit card perks. A few years they paid me to be a member.

$1000 back? That is some serious purchasing. Costco must LOVE you. LOL

Knowing that I have a short somewhere in my Scion, last time I used it I forgot to disconnect the battery, for a month. I'll get around to it when more important projects / work is finished as the Scion is more of a backup / project car.

I think with such a low voltage the battery is damaged internally at this point and not salvageable, replace?

I've done worse to a battery, in fact much worse, and am still using that battery years later. What I did to prevent the problem from reoccurring was to put the car on a solar powered trickle charger.

$1000 back? That is some serious purchasing. Costco must LOVE you. LOL

I get around $500-$700 back from them. When I lived in CA, I had a Costco store 15 minutes from me, gas purchase alone made it worth it. You get 4% back and their gas is usually the cheapest and good quality. What’s not to like?

I got their Kirkland AGM battery recently for my minivan. I think it was $180 for a 94R group size. So pretty good price and I know I will have no problems returning or getting it exchanged if it fails for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Back