8 Month old group 24 700 CCA Costco battery drained, reads 4.66 volts, is it toast?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Knowing that I have a short somewhere in my Scion, last time I used it I forgot to disconnect the battery, for a month. I'll get around to it when more important projects / work is finished as the Scion is more of a backup / project car.

I think with such a low voltage the battery is damaged internally at this point and not salvageable, replace?

The battery in my Subaru hit ~6v several times and sat that way for a week or two and it's still working just fine. Probably about the same age as your battery too.

So after 2 years and 11 months you can take it back and get a new one? For all your cars if you have 3 or 4? Can't imagine that will last.
I forget the warranty period, but yes, as long as it is under warranty they pull a new one off the shelf and put it in your cart.
On wifey's TSX, I brought back the tiny 51R. I had no receipt and told then it was probably past. The guy looked it up on his computer, said you have x weeks left. It was definitely under a month. Replaced it no problem.

So basically they are selling lifetime batteries? You can do this every 2 years 11 months after getting a battery?
That's right.
They did wise up a bit recently. The "No Questions Asked" warranty used to be 4 years....

I always write the purchase date right on top of my batteries with a yellow paint pen. That way, I see it enough to start getting critical of the battery performance when nearing the end of warranty period.

To date though, I've never had to replace any batteries with Costco within the warranty.

Last time I returned a bad battery to Costco, they refunded the purchase price and gave me a Costco cash card with that amount on it, which I used to purchase a new one.

But that was around 8 years ago. No idea how they do it now.

Costco is good at switching batteries out
Shame their 24F has a weird case that doesn't fit my cars right 🥺
Costco swaps out the battery under warranty with no questions asked. Easy peasey.
Only place I will buy a battery nowadays.
Agreed, last time they covered the battery under warranty twice, you are supposed to only get one exchange under warranty but the lady at the return counter made an exception for some reason.

The group 24 battery is hard to find, not the F model just the regular. Had to call around different Costcos.

So why would they replace it during the warranty period if it tests good?
Costco doesn't test batteries on return. Maybe because their techs are too busy replacing tires? Maybe they just don't care in the name of customer service.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did an internal study to see the cost benefit, testing the batteries that came back that were good vs productivity lost of testing all batteries.

The tire center of every Costco I've been to is always running around like crazy and sometimes you have to wait for a tech to come back from the shop to help you at the tire counter.

Back