$8 million / 365 = $21,917-can you get by,lol

Success is not measured by one's bank account. One can live humbly and be a good person.
Money and its trappings are an empty promise.
g. You can be humble and good and a total failure. I know lots of them. Of course, you can be rich and not humble or good...but you're still successful. Then again, success can be defined as: Attaining a goal.

I didnt read post #1 as jealous swipe, Just as an observation. Many struggle hard with the cost of living. More of a daydream.

I think the discussion should be, rather, how does the news and entertainment machine back up from these exorbitant salaries. They think they need to fish with premium bait to hook a good fish.
This affects me as my cable costs are an exorbitant $2900- per year for one little Samsung 39" TV with no DVR. And seeing what is on that box - it ain't worth it. YouTube has been my entertainment replacement. I am no longer employed, but neither I am retired collecting social security - just living off cash stashed here and there.
Being in my mid sixties, I'm in "No Man's Land" for a bit.

It seemed obvious to me there was at least a hint of jealousy in creating this thread...

I have no use for most of the "entertainment machine". I haven't had pay TV in years. There's no chance I'd pay $2900 for the privilege. Just about all I watch is over-the-air local news. I have much better things to do with my time, than watching TV.

It seemed obvious to me there was at least a hint of jealousy in creating this thread...

I have no use for most of the "entertainment machine". I haven't had pay TV in years. There's no chance I'd pay $2900 for the privilege. Just about all I watch is over-the-air local news. I have much better things to do with my time, than watching TV.

Yup, entertainers are paid based on the value of their entertainment, and that goes for most "news" networks nowadays as well. If you don't think Jolly Jerry and Vivacious Veronica should be making 7-figures reading a teleprompter and regurgitating the latest bought and paid for talking points, don't watch them.

The problem is the same people whining about what entertainers are paid will then readily sit down and watch them. They are, through that consumption, funding them; guaranteeing that compensation.

It's no different than any other market consumable. If you don't like the price or how or where it is made, don't consume it. It's the same for the offshoring of consumer goods, Chinese tires, pickles made in India...etc. If you don't speak with your wallet you are just as much a part of the problem (if you consider it a problem) as the company looking to improve their bottom line.

Far more often than not, those bitching about capitalism, industrial exodus, entertainment industry compensation and the like, sometimes proposing things like government intervention, are sitting there surrounded in offshore goods and will tell you that buying local, first world...etc just costs too much. They are hypocrites, and in general, I expect that goes for the majority of North American consumers.

The consumer has the power, but that's only of value if they are willing to use it. History says they won't.

Back