7th gen Maxima (09 and 11) transmission warmup time

Hello,
Whenever it's say sub 50F outside, it takes FOREVER for the CVT to warmup! I try to idle the car at least 5 minutes in MD weather these days (25f to 40f) and I'm directly logging data from ECU through OBD. Engine coolant takes about 4 to 5 minutes to be in the 125f zone (that's when I start driving). CVT at start up is about 35f and it never shifts smooth untill it reaches 73f for the CVT fluid. Last thing in the world I want is to mess up with that picky tranny.

Is there anything really that can make warming up the CVT faster (obviously beside driving)?

I use Nissan fluid NS2 and last drain and refill was 4k ago last summer (had 4 rounds total of D/F).

Why exactly are you warming up the transmission before driving? Something wrong with it?

Why exactly are you warming up the transmission before driving? Something wrong with it?

It does not drive smooth until it warms. Holding shifts, keeping RPM higher, etc... You ever had a car with an automatic transmission before?

I’ve had plenty of automatic vehicles thank you very much. Most of the computer controlled trannys have a different shift algorithm when they get below a certain temperature (hard shifts, TCC disabled). What exactly are you trying to achieve? Unless you can defy the laws of thermodynamics there is nothing you can do to “make warming up the CVT faster.” Just drive it.

I'm assuming this CVT has fake shift points programmed into the TCM as CVTs, by design, don't have traditional gears. If you are feeling "shifts," and they differ depending on temperature, it is an algorithm set in the ECU and TCM to help the engine get to the desired operating temperature more quickly.

Fake shift points only exist in S mode, not in D. I would hold off putting it in sport until warm if the "rev hang" bothers you when cold. Yes, the engine is kept at a higher RPM during tranny warm-up but I've never experienced a lack of "smoothness". Only thing you could do is use a magnetic heating pad on the pan and plug it in...not worth it though IMO.

Back