790,000 miles and only 1 oil change !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoke to a trucker today. He says he has only changed the oil 1 time in 798,000 miles. He uses Amsoil ! No I didn't see the truck. It had a Detroit in it. Wish I had more time to chat with him but he seemed real.

Have him check back with us after his next oil change.

wink.gif

I'm not a trucker but this sounds pretty crazy/awesome/cool! Just think if everyone did that... usage of oil would definitely go down.
tongue.gif

What is the normal OCI for truckers? Even with all highway miles - I'd think 100,000 would be pushing it, even with Amsoil as normal vehicles are spec'ed at 25,000miles with amsoil.

Normal OCI is around 15-20K. The new EGR engines are 15,000, and the older pre EGR engines can be pushed to 30K if regular oil samples are done.

GM Electro Motive Division (EMD)
We change the oil every 4000 hours of various use. (Mostly around 735 RPM)
If that were a road vehicle at 60 mph then that would be 240,000 miles between oil changes.
Engines are worth about $240,000 to $260,000 each.
I can believe 800,000 miles.
I certainly would not try it myself.
We do weekly sample tests that are sent out plus we keep a close eye on the pressures and temps.

quote:

Originally posted by warrior pilot:
Spoke to a trucker today. He says he has only changed the oil 1 time in 798,000 miles. He uses Amsoil ! No I didn't see the truck. It had a Detroit in it. Wish I had more time to chat with him but he seemed real.

Did he offer you a Business card?
lol.gif

I have a customer with a 60 Series Detroit Diesel that changes his oil every 100,000 miles.
He has over 1,300,000 miles on the engine and NO rebuild. He wants to get to the 1.5 million mark before he does a tear down.
He runs the two BE110's with the AME 15W40.

remember that some of these engines meter a small amount of oil into the fuel stream,they are constantly adding new oil to the crank case.

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
How many quarts do some of these big rig diesels take anyway?

Around 12 gallons. The older cats with the hydralic brakesaver thing held 18 gallons.

The 1st company I drove for did 40K oil changes and ran Delvac 15w-40.

I've mentioned this before, but, we've had a few tractors that burn/leak oil at a rate that allows us to just keep topping off - never change oil - not since the early '80s anyway. You may consider this a bad practice, but one of these tractors has been in use since 1953. The strategy seems to work.

I had a '93 Freightliner w/ a Detroit 60 Series. My company changed the oil at 30k (was told it was Mobil, but couldn't get any more information than that). They held 11 gallons.

Dave

If it was a detroit, than he may have never changed it, but he added constantly. They all burn and leak like crazy. But you can't kill em.

My grandpa has a 90 year old axe.

He's only had to change the head twice, and the handle three times.
smile.gif

Sump and fullflow hold 10 gallons total. Bypass holds 2 gallons. The norm for OCI is 10,000 miles and I used Delo 30 wt oil for years and started 15-40 when it came out.

I believe that if a quality 30 wt. synthetic oil is used like Amsoil, and changing the fullflow, and bypass, and air filter on a regular basis... with oil analysis... the oil can go forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back