'78 Ford Granada Castrol HM 10w-40 4,150 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jorton
OMG! This vehicle is 33 years old. You are accomplishing the impossible by driving OLD CARS in a state that salts roads in winter. I hope you carry Gortex and Thinsulate overalls and boots in the back seat! And wd-40 for the distributor cap.

46 miles each way - I think you can extend to 2 months oil changes by running fleet type diesel/gasoline engine certified motor oil. Is there any 10w-30 readily available in your area.

[standing ovation]

No 10w-30 HDEO on a regular basis and driving around looking for it is counterproductive. Typically, I use Mobil Super or ST in winter and a 50/50 mix with the 15w-40 from my Chrysler.

Originally Posted By: cos
Leaded gas? I'd guess that this car, like most from 1975 onwards had a cat and ran on unleaded. The leaded nozzle was too big (by design) to fit into unleaded fuel filler holes.

There is no nozzle restrictor in my fuel tank and running leaded fuel in unleaded cars was common practice around here because it was 20 cents cheaper.

I remember buying the plastic nozzle reducer when I was in Louisiana so I could pump regular in my car......
56.gif

If running leaded gas happened in that car, it would have destroyed the cat. Is there still a cat in the exhaust system, or did someone weld a straight piece of pipe or glasspack where a cat should have been.

Do you live where there are smog tests?

^^^^^I gutted mine.......Did I say that?
27.gif
No uh...it was gutted when I bought the car....Yeah,yeah....thats it.

Last edited:
It still has a cat, just of the "hollow variety"
wink.gif
No smog check here other than gas cap testing and a visual check to determine if all system components are still on car and hooked up. Whether or not they function is not required.
smile.gif

There was a different bearing philosophy at that time which called for more "embedability" in the surface of the bearings. Supposedly, this was to have particles get trapped in the soft outer layer of the bearings to prevent wear of the rotating parts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back