78 Blazer, 500k Amsoil OE 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous UOA was done with Valvoline Maxlife, and was shortly after having a shop adjust valves on the heads. This short UOA was done to see if engine had possible head gasket issue causing coolant leak. Thoughts?

Blazer.JPG

You are using some pretty darn expensive oil to flush your engine out with. That is up to you. It does look like an improvement in the coolant. You have to throw the sodium reading out because you used Valvoline, but potassium is looking better. All in all you need to flush this engine with another 500 mile drain with an oil that does not use sodium as an additive. Then do a 2k run and do a UOA. That should give you the info you really need. The engine will be flushed of sodium and most contaminants and you will be able to get a clearer picture IMO.

Good Luck!

At $4.70 a quart it was cheaper than most of the conventional alternatives. Pennzoil at the local O'Reilly was $5.29/QT for conventional, so I opted to use the Amsoil OE full synthetic and save a few bucks.

Good call on the 500,000 miles posting...any way to change that after I started the post?

No way to change it, I'm sure your post will get a lot of views though..lol. Keep using the Amsoil if you are getting it for cost, it sure doesn't hurt. I really think you need to flush it at least one more time though. Then do a 2k run as I said before. You don't want to spend too much money on a 500k engine. You will get a good idea after another flush and run. I promise.

that's one heck of a mistake 500 mi vs 500 K miles----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
You are using some pretty darn expensive oil to flush your engine out with. That is up to you. It does look like an improvement in the coolant. You have to throw the sodium reading out because you used Valvoline, but potassium is looking better. All in all you need to flush this engine with another 500 mile drain with an oil that does not use sodium as an additive. Then do a 2k run and do a UOA. That should give you the info you really need. The engine will be flushed of sodium and most contaminants and you will be able to get a clearer picture IMO.

Good Luck!

What crack are you smoking? OE is cheaper than most conventional oils and is a group III based synthetic.

I'm pretty sure Valvoline uses sodium in their addy package so that would explain that level. You could probably run this another 1500 miles. It seems like you just need to run it through the motor and flush it out.

Gotta love the Valvoline sodium!

I wonder what the "organic additive" is in their add pack that gives such a high, robust, sodium count on UOA and VOA in PPM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back