75w90 for 80w90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Chevy Z71.I want to get the break-in fluids out of the differentials and the transfer case.The manual states 80w90 for the front and synthetic 75w90 for the rear.Would it be OK to use Royal Purple 75w90 for the front and rear.Also the transfer case calls for Dex6.Is there anything better to use for long drain intervals.

It is fine to use the 75W-80 where 80W-90 was specified. All the "75" means is that it has superior low temperature characteristics compared to the convention "80W" stuff, which is a good thing.

No problem to use 75W90 in both diffs. You could run a synthetic ATF in the TC to extend intervals.

Quote:

I have a 2007 Chevy Z71.I want to get the break-in fluids out of the differentials and the transfer case.The manual states 80w90 for the front and synthetic 75w90 for the rear.Would it be OK to use Royal Purple 75w90 for the front and rear.Also the transfer case calls for Dex6.Is there anything better to use for long drain intervals.

IMHO, Stick with dino 80w-90 for the front. I have given it some thought as to why most manufacturers use dino in the front...

Dino typically has better corrosion protection...
Dino typically has better seal compatibility...
Dino tends to climb gears better...

The reason why these are important for the front is because it is typically rarely used compared to the rear. less use can lead to more corrosion and seal issues...so you can see the need for an oil good in those areas. The "climbing" reason would seem to help since when it is called into action, it hasn't had a chance to warm yet, so much of the protection will come from the oil film itself while the additive pack tends to need some heat to really start protecting.

Now if you are constantly using your front...I would probably say synthetic isn't a big deal.

Another thing I just remembered, it's possible that synthetic may also contain some ester content. This can increase the chance of water in the oil since esters have an affinity for it. If you don't run the diff warm to evaporate the water, this can lead to more corrosion issues.

Hammer

"""Dino typically has better corrosion protection...
"""Dino typically has better seal compatibility...
"""Dino tends to climb gears better...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Sorry that is not really a true statement all of what you said can apply to syns, blends or dino ALL depends on Mfg foprmulation.

bruce

That is why i used the words "typically" and "tends"

I even seen a post by you today that said dino climbs better to help protect in a high pinion set-up.

And since we don't have a test to see which specific brand is better than another...because you even said it "ALL depends on Mfg foprmulation"...wouldn't it be a safe bet to stick with Dino in a rarely used front differential situation? I think it would

Hammer

let me add...I know we have various gear oil tests out there...I'm speaking specifically about oil brands versus other oil brands

Hammer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back