75W140

I'd like to change the oil in the rear axle of my 2012 F150, 8.8 rear end. I'm assuming its open and not limited slip. It specs 75W140. My question is, will it be ok to use Valvoline Synpower 75W140 or should I use a more boutique oil like Amsoil, Redline, or Schaeffers? I never tow anything with this truck.

I don’t see why there would be anything wrong with the valvoline or Supertech type syn diff oil. Others might be better, but it’s hard to quantify that. Knowing if you have an LSD is an important thing...

I use Amsoil, but Valvoline will be totally fine. I installed the very same in my FIL 2009 F-150 with the 8.8 axle with zero issues.

Be sure that you can remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug!

I just changed the fluid in my Mustang with the Valvoline Syn 75w 140....nice that I didn't have to add friction modifier. And if you don't have limited slip it will work just fine as well. BTW I got it from Advance Auto online and used the 20% off code, ended up being under $12 quart.

I use the MasterPro 75-140 in forklifts and yard trucks that see hundreds of hours a month. Never sampled it but no noticeable issues either.

I'd like to change the oil in the rear axle of my 2012 F150, 8.8 rear end. I'm assuming its open and not limited slip. It specs 75W140. My question is, will it be ok to use Valvoline Synpower 75W140 or should I use a more boutique oil like Amsoil, Redline, or Schaeffers? I never tow anything with this truck.
I just had my 07 F150's 8.8 (158K miles) open differential oil changed using this same oil. I bought it from my local NAPA for under $11 a qt. (3 qts.). ST 75W140 is a good choice too.
BTW, I always use a Fel-Pro gasket (RDS-55341).

Supertech would do fine too. There's no need for the expensive boutique oils and I seriously doubt they would add to the longevity of your differential. The main thing you are routinely changing the gear oil.

I have used Supertech, Valvoline and Lucas 75w-140 in several F150's with no issues.
I do use the Motorcraft limited slip fluid though if they have LS regardless of what fluid I use. I have had chatter from the LS if you don't use it, even if the fluid states it has the LS modifier in it, it is just not enough.

...even if the fluid states it has the LS modifier in it, it is just not enough.
Chatter. That's what happend on my Explorer's rear LSD 8.8 (factory fill syntethic 75W140 with LS added). I had to add the Motorcraft LS to the synthetic fluid 75W140, and then all was right.
I think that, if the manufacturer thinks the synthetic is "slippery" enough, they will say that's "LS compatible". But they don't specifically add any LS additive in them.

The Motorcraft genuine gear oil is even more than the boutique oils like Redline, Amsoil, etc. It's $23 a quart on Amazon (!)

Back