75W140 and my Toyota Sienna

I am getting ready to change the differential and transfer case fluid in my AWD Sienna. Service manual calls for GL-5 75W-85, so I am sure that the Mobil-1 75W90 GL-5 gear oil will be just dandy. Here is my question, though. I have a spare quart of Mobil-1 75W140 left over from my truck days. My guess is that it would be too heavy for my Sienna gear train, even if mixed 50/50 with 75W90. Thought I would ask the experts though. Thanks.

I've done the same with my Sienna, 50/50 mix. Make sure your rear diff breather isn't clogged, i sprayed mine with fluid film.
No difference in MPG with the heavier mix.

Reactions: JC1
Since the winter rating is the same, it will be fine. It will have a thicker viscosity when warmer. I would run it :)

i run that M1 in everything, Chevy truck, yamaha SxS diffs, Kawasaki C14 gear drive with 46k... It wont hurt anything ans under heavy load will hold up.

I've done the same with my Sienna, 50/50 mix. Make sure your rear diff breather isn't clogged, i sprayed mine with fluid film.
No difference in MPG with the heavier mix.
Did you remove the breather for inspection?

Anyone find the Sienna part #'s for the drain plug crush washers for the diff and xfer case?

That's very close, it is the rear diff plug. Somewhere I read there was a kit available for the xfer and dif seals.

Since the winter rating is the same, it will be fine. It will have a thicker viscosity when warmer.

Not exactly. It's a popular misconception though. Above freezing the 75W-140 is commonly thicker
both cold and hot compared to 75W-90. If in doubt I'd suggest you just compare some PIs and VOAs.
At 40°C/104°F a 75W-140 often ~50 % thicker, so that's no less than at 100°C where it's also roughly
50 % thicker as a 75W-90 in many if not most cases. It's very much the same when comparing a GL-4
75W-80 with a GL-4 75-90 btw., and the difference is probably still considerable near freezing point.

Still ok using it though, especially if diluted w/ 75W-90. However I'd still use 75W-90 GL-5 only, since
there's no gain going even thicker, just the added drag and some imponderabilities as you're mixing
two (hopefully not too) different oils.

Not exactly. It's a popular misconception though. Above freezing the 75W-140 is commonly thicker
both cold and hot compared to 75W-90. If in doubt I'd suggest you just compare some PIs and VOAs.
At 40°C/104°F a 75W-140 often ~50 % thicker, so that's no less than at 100°C where it's also roughly
50 % thicker as a 75W-90 in many if not most cases. It's very much the same when comparing a GL-4
75W-80 with a GL-4 75-90 btw., and the difference is probably still considerable near freezing point.

Still ok using it though, especially if diluted w/ 75W-90. However I'd still use 75W-90 GL-5 only, since
there's no gain going even thicker, just the added drag and some imponderabilities as you're mixing
two (hopefully not too) different oils.
Sure - we even see some of that in 0W20 vs 0W40 …
I have 85W140 dino in the Rubicon - and even in Texas will drop the rear to 80W90 semi for winter … that’s basically “sling flow” to the pinion bearing …

Back