75W-90 Gear Oil with API-GL5 @ 2014 Camaro SS AT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello oil gurus,

Chevrolet recommends when changing the gear oil, adding a limited slip axle lubricant additive since the Camaro has a limited-slip axle.

Modern gear oils do meet API-GL5 & MIL-L-2105D specifications:
- They already have up to 6.5% of friction reducing additives
- Specifically for use in differential gear units with limited slip

In regards to this, I found a very nice document: https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

Especially this part is very interesting:

--- snip BEGIN ---
Transaxles
So,what do we put in transaxles where the transmission and differential are combined in one unit? This is a good question, and the answer lies in the design and surface area of the gears. If the contact surfaces of the gears arebig enough to carry the weight and torque necessary, we depend less on the oil and its additives. If the surface area is compact, we need to depend more on the additive's ability to handle the boundary lubrication. When we have transaxles, we have to depend on the manufacturer to tellus what product is correct.

When we have transaxles,we also need to be aware of whether the differential portion uses Limited Slip"LSD" technology of some kind that limits the slipping of the wheels in mud and snow. This requires an additive that lets a clutch bind the wheel movement together at a certain speed differentialof the wheels. This additive can be in any oil. Many GL-5 oils have a small amount. This is often enough for some differentials as long as they were not rinsed out. Some systems needmore additive than others. You can usually tell if you need more additive by making a U-Turn. If the inner wheels click or try to lock up on the turn, you need more additive. Often an oil that has a little of this additive will say it is satisfactory for "service fill" or "top-off".

How can you tell whether or not you have a limited slip differential? That is the easy part: Jack up both driven wheels and spin one of them with your hand (transmission in neutral) if the other wheel spins the same way, you have a limited slip differential. If it spins in the reverse direction, you do not. You can also just jack up one wheel and try to spin it. If it refuses to turn, or turns with a lot of resistance, and the car is in neutral, with no brake on, you have limited slip

You will find numerous wrong comments on forums and other sites where users claim that GL-4 means LSD. That is totally false. A check of the API site could have set them straight

--- snip END ---

Based on these findings, I have following questions?
- Is the recommendation from Chevrolet based on the latest oils and their specifications obsolete?
- In case I would use a oil that meets API-GL5 & MIL-L-2105D specs, would I still need to use the recommended LS additive?

For a 5th gen Camaro SS AT / LS99, what would be the better oil of choice?

https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-ls-75w-90.html
or
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/...getriebeoel-sls-sae-75w-140-gl-5-ls.html

And as already asked, would I need to use any additional LS additive when I use either of these gear oil?

Cheers,

Niels

Hi,

Ravenol is quite a good local German company.
The products are very good.
They are getting very successful in developing and partnerig up with racing sports from World Touring Car Cup to Formula 1.
I rather support a local German company than an international group.

In ragards to your recommendation, I assume this is the product of M1 Germany which is equivalent to the oil you mentioned?
Mobil Delvacâ„¢ 1 Gear Oil LS 75W-90 ?

So I assume that for GL-5 oils there is no more addice required?

In choosing between the Ravenol 75W-90 and 75W-140 what viscosity does the owners manual say? I think it's 75W-90 but not 100% sure. About the need for additional limited slip additive it seems like the Ravenol already has it. Your document has provided an answer, try a u-turn and if no chattering or grabbing the Ravenol is fine just the way it is.

I understand your desire to support a local product.

I would pick 75W140 GL5 LS for its higher KV @40*C, never mind what the manual says.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GYGuy81
Hi Zeng,

Yes, I read that some people prefer 75W140 API-GL5 over 75W90 API-GL5.

With a higher KV @40*C in 80/85W90 or xW140, you could have more 'fun' with the car without worrying so much on potential 'upcoming' whining noise in years to come.
As far as axle oil is concerned, there is no such thing too thick a gear oil in relation to factory recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back