74% of NASCAR using Mobil 1 R

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised they all didn't blow their motors
lol.gif
Just playing TSoA
patriot.gif

We will know soon, in January. George Morrison is getting it then. I'm buying some off of him when it comes out and will have a VOA on it. Now there is an oil worth doing a $400 VOA on.

People that say things like "Mobil 1 blew my engine up" loose credibility from the get go and don't deserve the time of day IMO. It's so ridiculous it's not worth responding too. Mechanics are another bunch that usually know very little about oil. It's very typical though of what you find on the internet usually.

[ November 23, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Just a guess, but maybe the "R" just stands for race and doesn't have the additives to last in an engine for regular street use.

Mobil is the least strait-forward and shady company I can think of. I was looking to see of the ~much vaunted~ 15w-50 is even available in Europe. Maybe someone can help out cutting through that virtual brick-wall to Euro-sites, but I think it is not. 0w-40 is their only "World" oil. So much for 15w-50 being deriguor in DTM and Touring Car classes, but somehow on this side of the Pond, they ONLY get 15w-50!

If 3/4 of NASCAR drivers use Mobil 1, it is surely a formula that nobody here has used, or even knows the composition and characteristics of. Why pretend that people here "know" what is being poured into ~any~ race car? Labels on bottles(upside down, so you can see them pouring it!), stickers on doors and retorical sylligisims are all part of Mobil's charade to make the dopey Americal oil consumer think the OTC "Racing" 15w-50 is the same shizz'em their NASCAR Lords are running.

"ok Cleatus, stack those cases of Mobil 1 high in the pit, let everyone see you pour a quart (laugh)
into that mystery blatter next to the oil filler (just kidding, it is either 15w-50 or more likely the familliar, although small for a race team, quart jug re-filled with their custom "extreme" forumla) A truely cynical person wouls say the jug was empty, lol.
...AND BE SURE NOT TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT IT, after all, we signed a non-disclosure agreement when we took Mobil's sponsorship money and their necessary custom-formulated actual race oil".

Yeah, right. Do the math and it is obvious why market-share is the overriding concern at Mobil. Let's call it "Mogul 1"! How hard it it to sponsor the NASCAR teams with a few stickers and stage some lame frat-quality stunts with the apparent race-oil, 15w-50 getting the nod? Give me a break. I probally know less about oils than many people here, but I know when to listen to a REAL EXPERT who races and rebuilds a dozen Porsche engines a year, and reject the mindless marketing ploys that SO many Gen Y people are unequipped to unravel inside their tiny heads. Ha, if anything NASCARs run on more of an AMSOIL/REDLINE-like product. Who cares, I don't. Whom do I have to prove anything to anyway? Noone, not my problem. Did I somehow claim that one drop of Mobil 1 will seize a de-tuned street engine on contact? No, but that is the exaggerated account repeated mindlessly here.
If someone wants to be absorbed in the warm glow of TV-based product placement, go ahead. If someone else wants an cold honest account from a qualified automobile expert, that is what I am offering.

quote:

Mechanics are another bunch that usually know very little about oil

Shure, why would they know anything?
dunno.gif

Buster, go quiz Mr. Goodwrench if you want to feel like a big man, in my mechanics' circles, you are way out of your league.
cheers.gif
You've somehow missed the irony of criticising internet oil advice when you strive the be that cracker inside the circle.

[ November 23, 2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

From what I've heard, NASCAR teams use a 0W-10 oil for qualifying only, and then on race day, they use a 20W50. I'm assuming since I've never seen a Mobil 1 20W-50 lately, those teams that use Mobil 1 probably use 15W-50.

TSoA, You really should lose your condescending tone. By using the statement "in my mechanics' circles, you are way out of your league," you're implying that none of us are worthy enough to disagree with you. I realize that you are in awe of these mechanics, but I'd be very skeptical of any engine builder that used motor oil as an excuse for what is probably poor workmanship. Like I said before, they're probably sponsored by Castrol.

J, if I am condesending, it is because I hear bits and pieces of my posts read back to me while the writer selectivly misses the point.

quote:

People that say things like "Mobil 1 blew my engine up" loose credibility from the get go and don't deserve the time of day IMO. It's so ridiculous it's not worth responding too.

Why did you choose not to point out Buster's implication of exactly what you accuse me of? Playing favourites? Am I in English 101? How, by saying, *Buster* is out of his league, does it mean
quote:

none of us are worthy enough to disagree with you

I am sure he can handle himself.
Too bad most people here don't have a knowledgable mechanic that they trust enough for a little thing like an oil recommendation. What the helll do you expect on an internet site other than an ancedotal story? Fly in, we'll visit my Bosch Service Center and you will not want to argue once you see the pile of engines, his crudentials, and hear the stories.

Bottom line is you guys can't believe someone can get reliable oil info from somewhere *other* than BitOG! The discourse here more closely resembles a jealous cackling bunch of gossipy housewives than the cold rational older BitOG guys that refuse to post anymore because of the above-stated reasons.

nono.gif
nono.gif
such language
nono.gif
nono.gif

[ November 24, 2003, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

You know you have something there. BITOG is nothing like it was a while back and many others apart from myself miss that. It gets more like Edmunds every day. How we get back to how it was I have no idea unfortunately.

quote:

Too bad most people here don't have a knowledgable mechanic that they trust enough for a little thing like an oil recommendation.

It is too bad....but quite true...many mechanics do not have an understanding of oils.

quote:

What the helll do you expect on an internet site other than an ancedotal story?

UOA's maybe?? There is much more than anecdotal evidence on this site.......

Just remember folks, it's all about the oil. We can leave flaming and thread-killing to the other web site out there........
patriot.gif

quote:

Why did you choose not to point out Buster's implication of exactly what you accuse me of? Playing favourites? Am I in English 101?

I'm not playing favorites. I'm inclined to agree with him that your mechanics aren't necessarily oil experts and this offends you? Making the "Mr. Goodwrench" comment wasn't exactly diplomatic. Your next statement from the last post was along the same lines:

quote:

Too bad most people here don't have a knowledgable mechanic that they trust enough for a little thing like an oil recommendation.

So your mechanic is godlike and above all others? All the other mechanics are fools for not using 5w50 Syntec? We're talking the opinion of one shop. Go ahead and use the oil. I'm sure it will run fine in your car.

You come across as a snob. If you've seen the movie Caddyshack, there's a character called Judge Smails who tells someone who can't afford to go to college "Well, Danny, the world needs ditch diggers too."

By the way...Ironically, you misspelled credentials, "crudentials." Perhaps it was a Freudian slip?

Like I said in an earlier post, quite a bit of information on BITOG is opinion and not fact. BITOG is just one source of information for me. I listen to many people and I'm always skeptical. If you choose to accept what these guys say as the truth without proof or the experiences of others then that's your decision.

Last time I checked, Amsoil was only found in Snow Mobiles.
lol.gif
Just kidding.
smile.gif

Buster,

These vehicles also have transmissions, diffs, power steering units and wheel bearings that need lubrication. Why don't you check and see what's being used in those?
wink.gif
Compare the specs of the Amsoil Series 2000 racing grease to the Mobil 1 synthetic grease, for example - which would you use?

It is possible for Mobil to be used in 75% of NASCAR vehicles and for Amsoil to be used in 75% of NASCAR vehicles ...just not in the same applications.
The problem here is that there arent' any other large domestic oil companies making decent synthetic lubes.
Castrol is owned by BP ...Shell makes their Helix line of synlubes in Europe, but they're not widely available here. Chevron/Phillips has a similar 35% market share in PAO's to ExxonMobil, but most of theirs are used for industrial lubes or sold to other companies.

It is the ILMA (Independant Lubricant Manufacturers Association), members like Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, Synergyn, Torco, etc that provide Mobils only competition when it comes to top tier, PAO and/or Ester based synthetics in North America. Esso = Exxon, so I don't include them ...

Tooslick

I hope we dont get too hyped up on the oil. 30wt says enough to me that it isnt a true racing oil IMHO. Mobil arent the only company that hypes up stuff! Lets just hope it lives up to it...

And as for API, its most likely going to be certified, as ur average consumer isnt gonna know much about oil and think twice about putting it in his engine... Also I dont think Mobil would like to produce a non-API product. All IMO.

[ November 24, 2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Leo ]

Knuckle-head abound in all areas, not just mechanics.

That being said, as few people here stated, Mobil is just using the 74% number as a marketing ploy. To sucker in the Knuckle-heads. Since market share is all numbers, who cares about the the details. As long as that pegasus is somewhere in the cars (could be Mobil fuels, oils, greases, etc) the 74% is right in some form.

Marketing is everything.

Well then, by "someones account" on this here thread, since Castrol is plastered all over John Force and companies funny cars, and I'm sure he's not running Castrol GTX high mileage
lol.gif
, Castrol is just a bunch of marketing whores as well. Come on, the fact that Mobil 1 is is on practicaly every race car in the US darn near, means that Mobil 1 has a very smart marketing department. I wouldn't believe for a second that a Nascar Winston Cup car would be running off the shelf Mobil 1 from Checker Auto parts in a motor spinning 9500 rpm for 4 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back