70's Suzuki 2 stroke moped non start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon!, Anyone know older 70's suzukis F50 Mopeds/scooters. I just picked up not 1 but 2 of these scooters! (his and hers, same color) MINT condition, never tipped, never seen ANY weather, or stored outside! they were stored for the past 20-30 years, untouched.. The tires even hold air still!. one has 149 miles, the other 142 miles. They were both made march of 70.. I am to assume they still have the original gear oil and 2 cycle oil!.
Now the problems im having, well call them A and B

- A and B Do not run.
- A did try to start on starting fluid.
- A has gas in the tank that smells like paint thinner!
- A internal gas tank is dirty
- A Even with gas in tank, nothing comes out of the fuel control knob.
- B No gas in tank, tank looks ok.
- B did not even try to start even with starting fluid.
- B Fuel comes out of the control knob port.
- A & B Both keys are gone.

Compression is a SOLID 125 PSI All day long, and engine internals look NEW.
They seem worth to fix, but im not trying to rebuild them lol.
How could i bypass the ignition? What wires would i need to tie together? I dont mind not having the keys. Looking just to get it running, then if needed i can replace the ignition switch.

I dont know if im not getting spark because of the ignition switch is unplugged, or if i have other issues.. I cant seem to think they BOTH need coils with only 150 miles on them.

Im going to clean the tanks and carbs in the mean time, then figure out how to bypass the ignition. any suggestions? Thanks for reading!

I would remove the gas tank and clean it . Don't try to get that varnish that used to be gas, into the carbs.You might be able to rebuild the gas valve. Or replace it. Then you could clean the plugs, remove and clean the carbs.Even tho the milege is low, if there was gas left in them years ago, they might be plugged up. Once your sure your tank is clean and isn't rusted thru, make sure you add or replace the fuel filter. Fresh gas with the proper oil mixed in, new battery's, and I would replace the tires also once you can get it running again. Good luck.,,

It's plausible the ignition shorts a coil wire, so switch "off" or disconnected lets it run. See what gets you spark at the plugs. It should have a magneto, not points, and it should be super simple. Maybe a condensor dried out? I assume kick start, so the switch should be a simple on/off. Is there a battery for lights or do they just run off the magneto as well?

As for fuel, I'd blow backwards through the petcock and see if you can dislodge rust. Actually, petcocks usually unscrew from the bottom of the tank. Rig up a temporary tank to get it running. Maybe borrow one off a snowblower or something.

my money is on the fuel having clogged up everything. valves. screens. carb. if you got lucky it evap'ed out of the carbs but you'll only know by thorough inspection. Reed valves (if they use them?) behind the carbs could also be gummed up needing to be cleaned.

igns should both be good. easy enough to test. probably just have to jumper the ign switch to get around the key issue. are they electric or kick start?

I would
a) figure out how to jump the ign with a couple of test leads. make sure you are getting spark.
b) realize that whatever fuel touched as it aged is going to be clogged. Take apart, soooooooak, clean. hopefully reassemble and run.

I restored a Yamahopper a few years back. It's very similar to your FA50. Nice find you have there... An engine only needs 3 things, fuel, air, and spark at the right time. Pull the plug and crank it with the plug against ground. You should see a fairly stout blue spark jump the gap. Replace the plug, and shoot some WD40 in the carb tract. If your scoot fires, it's carb time. Pull the carb and start cleaning. As far as the one that wont flow fuel, you'll have to look into the petcock on that one. My Hopper needed a new one. I was surprised to find that about 80% of the parts for the Hopper are still available from Yamaha. Check out ronayers.com for fiche and parts ordering. BTW, I was very successful in cleaning the fuel tank of my Hopper with a handful of large nuts, and citric acid from the healthfood store. Knocked the rust out, cleaned up nicely, and is gentle on the metal. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater

Last edited:
UPDATE:

B IS RUNNING!. Removed and cleaned carb and tanks. Will buzz along @ 35 MPH on flat ground, 27-35 going up substantial hills, or 35-44 down hills. This has a 3 speed manual. Its a blast to drive. really surprised at the amount of TQ in first gear. It'll wheelie if not careful... I put 43 miles on it TODAY!. Also have a new ignition switch on order so the scooter will have brakelights and headlights. Gas mileage has been amazing. I would say in that 40+ miles it used 1/2 gal of gas? I also gave it a once over and tightened every nut and bolt with a good cleaning. Rides like new.

I dont think im going to mess with the other one, ill just use it for parts. I cant seem to get spark with it. Dont want to invest a ton of time, so to already have a parts thats like new, and all original will help keep the one thats running, running longer!. The gas tank had inches of sludge in it, the peacock was sealed shut with varnish, and the carb im not even sure if it can be used. also would need an ignition. i just unplugged it, and B ran.

Thanks for the suggestions!, Im going to ENJOY local-ish (within 10-15 miles of home) driving while sipping gas!

You probably need to clean/replace the points for spark. Change the trans oil soon, it will likely have a lot of water in it from condensation over the years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back