700 x 25 Tires?

Any recommendations in this size? I have 700 x 23 now on my De Rosa road bike.

I skidded a bit yesterday in wet conditions, and I thought I might change what I have (Continental Grand Prix).

Tire change might not fix skidding--everything I've read has indicated that at bicycle speeds, one cannot hydroplane. Just going too slow. At least on bare pavement, all bets off if you toss in paint, sand, leaves or are off-road.

Maybe the tires are just old...

I've had several Conti 4000 GP's and been quite happy with them. I've read some reviews complaining about punctures but I just have not had much of a problem with that. I have 25's on one bike, 28's on the other. No complaints, although I think the 25's may be a bit harder to install than the 28's.

I've had Continental Grand Prix 4-seasons, which are a solid tire.

Now running Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28
I’m also running the Roubaix Pro 25 rear 28 front really like them with pressure up at 100psi I’m 170 lbs.

Tire change might not fix skidding--everything I've read has indicated that at bicycle speeds, one cannot hydroplane. Just going too slow. At least on bare pavement, all bets off if you toss in paint, sand, leaves or are off-road.

Maybe the tires are just old...

I've had several Conti 4000 GP's and been quite happy with them. I've read some reviews complaining about punctures but I just have not had much of a problem with that. I have 25's on one bike, 28's on the other. No complaints, although I think the 25's may be a bit harder to install than the 28's.
I've heard they wouldn't hydroplane because of the section shape. Supposedly airplane tires won't either, but I can't substantiate that. My incidental experience on a bicycle in rain at speeds over 40 says I haven't hydroplaned, but traction sure is less in the wet.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was going to try some Continentals again, but decide to go with Vittoria Rubino Pro IIIs.

I’m also running the Roubaix Pro 25 rear 28 front really like them with pressure up at 100psi I’m 170 lbs.
I have the hybrid profile, 25 wide/28 tall, so I can run them with lower pressures, at around 80 psi rear and 70 psi front. And, due to working at home, instead of walking around aimlessly at the office, gained some weight and weigh 200 lbs. I forgot my pump one day and ran them even lower without pinch-flat'ing the tubes.

I've heard they wouldn't hydroplane because of the section shape. Supposedly airplane tires won't either, but I can't substantiate that. My incidental experience on a bicycle in rain at speeds over 40 says I haven't hydroplaned, but traction sure is less in the wet.
The coefficient of friction between wet rubber and wet concrete & asphalt is lower than dry conditions.

Can you fit 28mm? Schwalbe Marathon Plus is an excellent tire . I run them on my 20 inch Dahon folder that I commute on daily . Fast rolling, flat protection . . . Great tires . They seem to grip wet pavement well .

The rule of thumb for the speed at which an aircraft will hydroplane (in knots) is nine times the square root of the tire pressure (in psi).
If you're going fast enough on road bike tire to hydroplane you're going at a pretty good clip.

I've used every brand tire on the market. My favorites are Schwalbe and Vittoria, preferably Rubino and Zaffiro, the latter I like a lot. My least favorites in this order Trek, Specialized, Continental (I've used 3 models).

The rule of thumb for the speed at which an aircraft will hydroplane (in knots) is nine times the square root of the tire pressure (in psi).
If you're going fast enough on road bike tire to hydroplane you're going at a pretty good clip.
Source?

Last edited:
Continental Gatorskins for me 700-28. Go with the biggest tire you can fit. I listen to the Cycling Tips podcast. They had a podcast on tire size and they did a test with 23, 25, 28, and 32's. They said that on their test, they didn't lose any speed but gained comfort going from a 23 and 25 to a 28 and 32. They suggest going to the largest tire you can fit. My BMC I have a 32 on the front and it just fits. I need to go down to a 28. The 32 is so close to the top of the fork area that if I run over wet grass and dirt it will scrape the inside of the headtube.

Also, the benefit of a larger tire is you don't need to run as high pressure so you get a smoother ride. Again, you don't lose any speed. It is a win win.

If that's accurate, my sew ups at 144 psi would need about 93 mph. I'm not sure I'm brave enough for that in the wet.

As far as tire recommendations, I've had good experiences with Conti grand prix in 700x25, as well as several Michelin tires. I got the best traction from the contis thru their lifespan. The Michelins wore forever, but were hard as rocks for the last 1000. I ended up using them as a trainer tire.

Back