700 NYC teachers are paid to do nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5heYRW9pbqE-Ezt-lidTx-rGzP7IAD98VVBDG0
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — Hundreds of New York City public school teachers accused of offenses ranging from insubordination to sexual misconduct are being paid their full salaries to sit around all day playing Scrabble, surfing the Internet or just staring at the wall, if that's what they want to do.

Because their union contract makes it extremely difficult to fire them, the teachers have been banished by the school system to its "rubber rooms" — off-campus office space where they wait months, even years, for their disciplinary hearings.

They have summer vacation just The 700 or so teachers can practice yoga, work on their novels, paint portraits of their colleagues — pretty much anything but school work.like their classroom colleagues and enjoy weekends and holidays through the school year.

Quote:
Because the teachers collect their full salaries of $70,000 or more, the city Department of Education estimates the practice costs the taxpayers $65 million a year. The department blames union rules.

Quote:
The Los Angeles district, the nation's second-largest school system with 620,000 students, behind New York's 1.1 million, said it has 178 teachers and other staff members who are being "housed" while they wait for misconduct charges to be resolved.

mad.gif

My favorite quote from the movie "Ghostbusters" comes to mind.
They were college professors before they were fired, and they start to think of ideas for new professions.

"I've worked for the Private Sector, they expect results!"

Then their is Jack Black in "School of Rock"
"Those who dont DO, Teach. And those who cant TEACH, Teach GYM."

I guess this topic goes "And those who Cant TEACH GYM...sit in a rubber room."

From what I have read and seen, the situation with the NY teachers union is ridiculous. The explanation of the union about why this is happening was unconvincing to say the least.

Old news for some of the followers of NPR's This American Life. The story was featured in February last year, episode 350.

Wait untill you realize what their retirement costs you!!! Govermnemt workers and politicians KY jelly isn't enough!!! we are in big trouble. I have seen it comming for years ,most people have no clue are still sleeping.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
What the [censored] do you care? You aren't NYC!! You [censored] right wing nutjob!!

LOL.gif

Wait untill you realize what their retirement costs you!!! Govermnemt workers and politicians KY jelly isn't enough!!! we are in big trouble. I have seen it comming for years ,most people have no clue are still sleeping.

What the [censored] do you care? You aren't NYC!! You [censored] right wing nutjob!!
If it is happening in NYC it is happening to you.

Originally Posted By: ccs v2.0
Old news for some of the followers of NPR's This American Life. The story was featured in February last year, episode 350.

I was going to post the same info. Interesting story, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I just listened to it. At the end Ira credits a rubber room dot com website for inspiring the story. I couldn't find the link he was referring to; Google brought up some rather NSFW links...

Originally Posted By: Tempest
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5heYRW9pbqE-Ezt-lidTx-rGzP7IAD98VVBDG0
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — Hundreds of New York City public school teachers accused of offenses ranging from insubordination to sexual misconduct are being paid their full salaries to sit around all day playing Scrabble, surfing the Internet or just staring at the wall, if that's what they want to do.

Because their union contract makes it extremely difficult to fire them, the teachers have been banished by the school system to its "rubber rooms" — off-campus office space where they wait months, even years, for their disciplinary hearings.

They have summer vacation just The 700 or so teachers can practice yoga, work on their novels, paint portraits of their colleagues — pretty much anything but school work.like their classroom colleagues and enjoy weekends and holidays through the school year.

Quote:
Because the teachers collect their full salaries of $70,000 or more, the city Department of Education estimates the practice costs the taxpayers $65 million a year. The department blames union rules.

Quote:
The Los Angeles district, the nation's second-largest school system with 620,000 students, behind New York's 1.1 million, said it has 178 teachers and other staff members who are being "housed" while they wait for misconduct charges to be resolved.

mad.gif

That is just sickening......
mad.gif

Because each state had to take some stimulus money, money that was paid for by everybody's taxes, I'd say that it affects all of us, even if we don't live in that state. It doesn't matter if a person is right or left wing, they are affected.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

LOL.gif

To see what's censored, all you have to do is hit "quote".

LOL.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:

accused

Of course, no one finds getting fired or pay stopped over an "accusation" particularly troubling or a vehicle for abuse.

I heard the T.A.L show on this and this is just part of the process of identifying legitimate balanced teachers from the bad apples.

If there were an article about fired teachers or docked pay without an investigation, there would be an angry post about that...
21.gif

Last edited:
This is happening not just to school, but any union related position I've seen in my life: AT&T, UAW in NUMMI, etc. Not all union workers are like that, but a certain percent of them are and that's enough to give the rest of them a black eye.

The only way to get rid of these blood suckers is to use recession and budget deficit as a way to clean out the garbage. That's probably the best you can get out of a recession.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
This is happening not just to school, but any union related position I've seen in my life: AT&T, UAW in NUMMI, etc. Not all union workers are like that, but a certain percent of them are and that's enough to give the rest of them a black eye.

Can I get an amen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back