70 Miles without air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you change your oil after driving 70 miles without an air filter? A member of a different forum said he had an air filter on order and couldnt find one locally, so he was driving around without a filter on. I suggested he change his oil after the new filter shows up. He later mentioned that he has only drivin 70 miles without a filter. I dont know what the conditions were during the driving. Motor is a Dodge 2.4l turbocharged 4 cyl.

a few of the other members are saying that I am to anal about it, and that driving without the filter is fine for that short of time. To me, 70 miles is a minimum of 1 hour of driving.

Just curious on the consensus of this forum.

It would depend on how dusty it is where the car was driven. I would be sick to my stomach if I lived in a desert area and was driving on a windy day. Then again I would have left the old filter in place until I got a new one.

I'd change the oil.

I'd change it. Especially a turbo 4, I'd change it. It's cheap peace of mind.

Knowing it's a turbo 4, I'd have not driven it, or jury-rigged a cone filter for it.

That is a lot of unfiltered air... I would change it out unless he was planning on re-honing the cylinders.
grin2.gif

A stock motor idles at -20hg of vacuum and can see -26hg while decelerating, if that matters at all. Stock will hit 12-15psi of boost, so the little motor acts like a hoover. It makes me cringe thinking about what could have been sucked into that motor.

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
A stock motor idles at -20hg of vacuum and can see -26hg while decelerating, if that matters at all. Stock will hit 12-15psi of boost, so the little motor acts like a hoover. It makes me cringe thinking about what could have been sucked into that motor.

It really is that important for 100 miles or so?

What could have happened to the cylinders?

There are usually Curves in Air intake piping, so only particles could make it through. Its not like an open thing where rocks can get in the engine (They cant really get up to it, i actually looked at the piping and had difficulty seeing where a pebble could actually get in, it would bounce off many things first.) Yes its a Vacuum, but the routing of the Piping should allow only air, albeit Unfiltered.

What is the worse possible scenario there?
57.gif

Oh, and the best point about that is that the fact that the old Air Filter is dirty means that dirt DOES get in there. Question i suppose is how much in 70 or less than 100 miles, as Air Filters are supposed to be every 12,000 miles. Pretty universal thing.

Last edited:
The most damage was probably done to the blades on the compressor in the turbocharger. Changing the oil isn't going to fix that!

It might not be an issue if the area where this happened has high humidity and very low dust levels.

Where I live, you could probably kill a turbocharger in no time flat from dust induction.

Last edited:
I was leaning more towards the high silicon counts that could have occured. It would take alot of work to get a pebble to travel thru the 8 feet of intake tubing and also thru the intercooler, I was thinking about the dust and possibly high silicon.

Last edited:
Put the air filter on. Get a sample of the oil and UOA it and see from there.

This would prove if a lot of "stuff" made it in and if there is anything coming from it.

The oil filter would have taken care of anything real bad.

IF there is damage, its done and changing the oil is not going to help bring it back. Sounds like your friend does not use the brain cells too often.

Telling us that there was NOT a SINGLE air filter available ANY WHERE local? (Stealerships, ALL Auto parts stores) whistle

Not going to believe that. Also most people have an extra one available. Its called planning.

What is done is. UOA it and see what you've got.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
The most damage was probably done to the blades on the compressor in the turbocharger. Changing the oil isn't going to fix that!

It might not be an issue if the area where this happened has high humidity and very low dust levels.

Where I live, you could probably kill a turbocharger in no time flat from dust induction.

Quoted for truth. I'd be more concerned about the turbocharger at this point.

I am thinking of Carlos Mencia...

"I have a dirt air filter and need a new one but can't find a new one. I KNOW! I won't use one at all! Dee dee dee!"

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

This would prove if a lot of "stuff" made it in and if there is anything coming from it.

IF there is damage, its done and changing the oil is not going to help bring it back. Sounds like your friend does not use the brain cells too often.

Telling us that there was NOT a SINGLE air filter available ANY WHERE local? (Stealerships, ALL Auto parts stores) whistle

Not going to believe that. Also most people have an extra one available. Its called planning.

Take care, Bill

What makes even less sense to me is why he couldn't have just put the old one back on for 70 miles???

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
What makes even less sense to me is why he couldn't have just put the old one back on for 70 miles???

I can tell you that if one suspects their Air filter is CLOGGED, as in no longer able to pass through any air..

And the desired effect is to MAKE Air enter the engine, for Performance, economy, and non-Hesitation concerns...

Then "Putting the old one back in"
54.gif
would make no sense whatsoever.

34.gif

Been there done that.

Car now has Air Filter changed every 12,000 miles, no matter what.

No damage done, either, unless there is something i dont know.

Take care, Bill

That would be the difference between someone USING brain cells or not...

Take care, Bill

That would be the difference between someone USING brain cells or not...

Bill, i attempted to explain the logic above.

They also need to use a Conventional Air Filter and not a "Washable" K&N.
thumbsup2.gif

Just kiddin, bud. However, basically, if a clogged air filter is clogged, removing it was the solution to passing Air. leaving a KNOWN Clogged filter on would make little sense, IF the goal was to have Air enter the Engine.

Surely, Unfiltered Air is better than No Air.
49.gif

I believe the reason for not having the filter is because he ordered one to put directly on the turbo, but it didnt fit correctly or there wasnt enough room, so he had to order another one. I would assume he still had the stock airbox and filter, but could have felt it wasnt worth the hassle of reinstalling if a new filter was going to be showing up in a couple days

No, what needs to be done is to make sure you have the correct parts BEFORE you do a job or have an extra filter ALWAYS on hand. Sorta like having oil and oil filters on hand.

Planning is a wonderful thing.
thumbsup2.gif

And if its between NO air or UNFILTERED air? I'll go for NO air.

Bill

Quote:
With only 70 miles on the new turbo, and oil change, as well as only being driven from route 108 to route 198 to work then back home... I'm not worried about it. Now if I were driving on a dirt/gravel road it would be a different story, but that it not the case.

This was what the other member said on the other site. I didnt realise it was a new turbo set-up and oil, I guess that makes it ok to not use a filter.
21.gif

Last edited:
If he was willing to drive around without an air filter, then I doubt he cares much about his car........I wouldn't waste another second trying to help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back