70-80% PAO

The oil currently in my car since April 2020 is made from approx. 70% PAO, 25% modern additive, 5% esters

I'm usually a 6 months OCI guy, but in theory at least should oil with the above formulation better maintain viscosity, resist oxidation for longer OCI?

Car is new purchased in May 2019 and the first change was in April 2020 with the above oil at 2300km.
The mileage of car is now 5100km
The vehicle is seldom driven, however most of the mileage is long distance highway.

Curious as to the brand of this oil. That isn't much mileage for that type of oil. I'm not sure what the general consensus would be for age of the oil. What are the driving conditions and weather environment for the vehicle?

OP with that low mileage you should be fine. Do you have access to a spec sheet with the starting TBN ?

Me, I would go at least 10,000 KM (6200 miles) and even then it would probably be changing early. A good synthetic should last 10,000 miles (16,000km). You live in Australia and do long drives, so there is no cold climate, short trip, water condensation issues to worry about. My ”cold start” is already 30C (86F) and I can get it to scalding hot, just going to the shops and back.

Happy Australia Day !

The oil currently in my car since April 2020 is made from approx. 70% PAO, 25% modern additive, 5% esters

I'm usually a 6 months OCI guy, but in theory at least should oil with the above formulation better maintain viscosity, resist oxidation for longer OCI?

Car is new purchased in May 2019 and the first change was in April 2020 with the above oil at 2300km.
The mileage of car is now 5100km
The vehicle is seldom driven, however most of the mileage is long distance highway.
Just who makes that oil and how proud of it are they?

“I'm not a fan of majority PAO oils in daily commuters. Given the conditions seen in normal use, a group III oil will have better additive response and last about as long. The only exception to this would be extreme cold starts.”

Nailed it!⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

I'm not a fan of majority PAO oils in daily commuters. Given the conditions seen in normal use, a group III oil will have better additive response and last about as long. The only exception to this would be extreme cold starts.

I note it interesting that Mobil doesn't seem bothered with going that route (EP 0w-20, AP 0w-20) where it makes sense. At the end of the day M1 0w-40 probably works just as well as Ravenol SSL 0w-40 for most of my driving, save perhaps if we get a -30 snap or something but I fully admit to having a bit of a bias toward PAO content, lol.

I'm not a fan of majority PAO oils in daily commuters. Given the conditions seen in normal use, a group III oil will have better additive response and last about as long. The only exception to this would be extreme cold starts.
In my motorcycle, which I regularly introduced to red line, I ran the Penrite 10-Tenths Racing 10W40, 1680 ppm Zinc, 630 ppm Boron, 100% PAO & Ester, 9.8 TBN, shear stable.

However for my daily commute in my car, I run Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 full synthetic. Like you said a good Group III, and regularly on sale. Same outcome but I save a bit of coin. Nothing wrong with the Penrite 10-Tenths, but I no longer push it hard enough to justify the expense.

We also get a Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A3/B4 full synthetic, which is a great bang-for-your-buck oil.

No such thing as extreme cold starts in Australia.

Curious as to the brand of this oil. That isn't much mileage for that type of oil. I'm not sure what the general consensus would be for age of the oil. What are the driving conditions and weather environment for the vehicle?

Rebates are becoming the biggest joke. They are getting to where they are only valid at these obscenely obscure stores that are almost nonexistent, and if you do stumble upon one, they probably charge $10+ a quart.

I went into Autozone last week killing a few minutes, and Castrol Edge was $10.99 a quart there!!

Ahhhh, we discussed that oil on here before.
Yes, a few times, it’s made in Korea and sold at a good price. Not much is known about it, at least on BITOG

OP, what car are we talking about?

How much is the Kixx @yowps3 I have seen some good and bad reviews.

That’s the question, how much ? And do you trust it ?

If it is what they say it is, then it’s probably a good oil. They just have no history or investment in the local market, which increases the risk to the consumer as they don’t have a name to protect.

I was at Bunnings the other day, and they had 5L jugs of Valvoline SynPower 5W40 and 5W30 full synthetic for $33 each. That’s a very good price in Australia and this appears to be a regular price, not a sale price.

• SAE 5W-40, API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3, ACEA B4, MB 229.3, GM-LL-B-025, VW 502.00, VW 505.00, RENAULT RN710, RN700

• SAE 5W-30, API SN PLUS, API SN, Resource Conserving, ILSAC GF-5, Ford WSS-M2C946-B1, GM dexos1™ GEN 2 APPROVED (Lic No. D10195GL103)

Hard to go past those two, and Valvoline has a name to protect and a big history in the game.

Back