7 year old Mobil 1 oil, looks fine, change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

I have no absolute proof paper breaks down with a 7 year soak in oil. It might not. Just suspicious about natural high porosity organic cellulose in oil.

Not sure why "high porosity" would be relevant (or what its relative to).

Paper breaks down from acid auto-hydrolysis and (very slowly) from attack by atmospheric oxygen, perhaps aggravated by atmospheric pollution.

Assuming the oil isn't so badly degraded as to have become acidic, none of these things are going to be happening much in a used oil filter, which is likely to last a lot longer than an unused one would on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Dodge gave me a nice pair of boots to take a test drive in that vehicle.
Change the oil and all the fluids before any real use. If for nothing else to get a better look at all the working systems. The brakes would be a very iffy thing after sitting that much.

Oh yeah, definitely flush the brake fluid! Regardless of whether it was used or not, the brake fluid still absorbed moisture. I would change all fluids just because. Then again every new to me car gets all of it's fluids changed *shrug*

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Not sure why "high porosity" would be relevant (or what its relative to).

Paper breaks down from acid auto-hydrolysis and (very slowly) from attack by atmospheric oxygen, perhaps aggravated by atmospheric pollution.

Assuming the oil isn't so badly degraded as to have become acidic, none of these things are going to be happening much in a used oil filter, which is likely to last a lot longer than an unused one would on the shelf.

Porosity exposes a lot more surface to the oil liquid. Then, with some acid and water in the oil (not much), add time, add some heat (Brownian kinetic is there!), and the wood pulp polysaccharides could soften up too much and break apart.

If the TBN is above about 2 (only UOA will tell ...), the acid has been neutralized and all is good on that front
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back