7.75 Briggs & Stratton problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
motor has lost the ability to start easily. have to use starter fluid and then cross my fingers, if it starts it lacks power seems to lack compression, little or no resistance on pull cord. hissing sound when pulling cord.got any ideas

+1 on the head bolts. I have had several Briggs with loose or missing head bolts over the years. I just tightened/replaced and the motor kept on running.

aside from head bolt torque checks, check valve tappet clearances (assuming yours is the classic "flathead" style).

My record only goes as far a 6.75 series with intake and exhaust between 4 and 5 thou (cold).

Lastly: check compression.

Q.

HEAD BOLTS
HEAD BOLTS
HEAD BOLTS
HEAD BOLTS
HEAD BOLTS

if not that.. tear it down.. some kind of mechanical issue.

Intek! Blown head gaskets are a very common problem with them. Tear it down and replace it. Take digital pictures at each stage of disassembly. See You Tube for valve adjustment video when you get to that part of reassembly. It's much easier than it looks to fix yourself. If the gasket is blown at the top, you're killing your coil by running it. The heated air coming from the leak will fry it. Have fun!

not 100% sure but the last time I came across a B&S 7.75 engine was a single flat-head type, not necessarily intek type.

An engine serial number (provided by OP) should clarify all of this.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back